Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: press F-1 to continue  (Read 3300 times)

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

press F-1 to continue
    « on: December 06, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
    I have fixed a friends Dell Optiplex 745 computer. All is working well except it will not boot directly to windows, I get the "press f-1 to continue then it boots up. When I go to the bios, it looks different than any bios screen I have seen.  I don't know how to fix things there, there are not a lot of options..

truenorth

Guru

Re: press F-1 to continue
      « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »
      In the BIOS you could select "restore defaults" and that may get normal operation back. Does the "F-1" warning contain any information as to what is prompting it such as a fan failure,etc.? truenorth

Darthgumby

Beginner
        • Experience: Beginner
        Re: press F-1 to continue
        « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
        Sounds like the F1 to continue is just telling you the system checked out OK and is ready to boot.  Some motherboards have this setting in the BIOS, and it could be the default setting.  I would see if you can look around the different BIOS menus and see if you can find something that sounds like this option.  You will not change anything the BIOS unless you select the "save and exit" command when done and then confirm it again.  Just looking around doesn't hurt anything, and if you don't save any changes when done in there, that also won't hurt anything.
        There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.