Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI express x16, x8 and x4  (Read 9181 times)

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PCI express x16, x8 and x4
    « on: December 15, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »
    I am looking at this motherboard on newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495
    if you click on the picture and zoom in to the PCI express slots you will see the top being x16, the middle x4, and the bottom x8. Lets say if I use only one GPU and I put it in the middle (x4), does this mean I will be running it only at x4 lanes (or w/e) or it affects only SLI and crossfire?
    Also will I be able to fit a single GTX560 Ti on this board or is it too big for the board? like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363

This motherboard is a part of combo deal, if you want to take a look...here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789219&cm_sp=DIY_PC_Combos-_-789219-_-Combo

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: PCI express x16, x8 and x4
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
    I looked at the package deal and they look like they are all 16x times except for the express slot

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
      3 of them are PCI express x16 slots, but if you zoom in on the picture, you will see that it is written on the board.... x4 middle x16 top and x8 bottom

Lumpy44

Beginner
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »
      I would think it would fit in the top 16x one. I doubt it would fit in the bottom one. You should contact newegg about the differences in the pictures. It might rub on the closest ram module but if you dont use it, it should be out of the way.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
      I've yet to see a Video Card work with anything but full PCI-E 16x. Like the really old ISA cards, you can get a larger card into a smaller slot (like a 16-bit ISA card into a 8-bit slot) but the card would have to be designed to work that way.

Video cards simply aren't. The entire purpose of using the PCIE bus is for maximum bandwidth.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
        I thought that x4 and x8 slots are x16 if you use one GPU. I thought they are only x4 and x8 when multiple graphics cards are installed, otherwise they are x16. Can you clarify this for me?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »
        I thought that x4 and x8 slots are x16 if you use one GPU.
        x4 and x8 slots are x4 and x8 slots. they aren't x16 slots. Plugging in a GPU doesn't make it sprout extra slots.

The various sizes of PCI-E slots are physical and electrical. You can plug in, say, a PCI-E x1 network card, into a X16 slot, but you cannot install a card with more "tabs" (requires more bandwidth) into one that doesn't have the slots. Well you can, but it probably won't work.

Graphics Cards are x16 because they need the bandwidth. When you have two Graphics cards and use SLI or Crossfire, you plug the graphics cards into TWO x16 slots on the motherboard.

I've not seen a PCI-E Graphics card that supports operating in a "slower" slot.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:57:35 AM »
        x4 and x8 slots are x4 and x8 slots. they aren't x16 slots. Plugging in a GPU doesn't make it sprout extra slots.
        ...I've not seen a PCI-E Graphics card that supports operating in a "slower" slot.
        Nor have I.

Various PCI slots. From top to bottom:

• PCI Express ×4
        • PCI Express ×16
        • PCI Express ×1
        • PCI Express ×16
        • Conventional PCI (32-bit)

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »

The various sizes of PCI-E slots are physical and electrical. You can plug in, say, a PCI-E x1 network card, into a X16 slot, but you cannot install a card with more "tabs" (requires more bandwidth) into one that doesn't have the slots. Well you can, but it probably won't work.

Graphics Cards are x16 because they need the bandwidth. When you have two Graphics cards and use SLI or Crossfire, you plug the graphics cards into TWO x16 slots on the motherboard.

I've not seen a PCI-E Graphics card that supports operating in a "slower" slot.

Hey thanks for your reply, but I think you misunderstood me here a little bit. The board I am talking about has 3 PCI express x16 slots (the physical size), but next to each one of them, right on the board (if you take a look at the picture, I have the link on my post, it is the first one) it is written: on the top one "x16" on the middle one "x4" and on the bottom "x8". They are all x16 slots, judging by the physical size.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »
            Nor have I.

Various PCI slots. From top to bottom:

• PCI Express ×4
            • PCI Express ×16
            • PCI Express ×1
            • PCI Express ×16
            • Conventional PCI (32-bit)
            Hey thanks for your reply, but I think you misunderstood me here a little bit. The board I am talking about has 3 PCI express x16 slots (the physical size), but next to each one of them, right on the board (if you take a look at the picture, I have the link on my post, it is the first one) it is written: on the top one "x16" on the middle one "x4" and on the bottom "x8". They are all x16 slots, judging by the physical size.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
              Take a look at the picture.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
              Never seen an X4 or X8, but if you look inside the pic, they are not fully populated with contacts.  4 & 8 may have the same number of contacts.  I believe the silkscreening (the writing on the circuit board).
              They physical slots are x16, but the only electrical x16 is the one at the top.  The Newegg details appear to be correct.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
                Never seen an X4 or X8, but if you look inside the pic, they are not fully populated with contacts.  4 & 8 may have the same number of contacts.  I believe the silkscreening (the writing on the circuit board).
                They physical slots are x16, but the only electrical x16 is the one at the top.  The Newegg details appear to be correct.

yeah, I just noticed that if you look on x8 and x4 slots you can notice that the wiring inside is half way compared to x16...that is bad news for me :(
                I was hoping to use one dedicated graphics card, but it is a little too big... I don't think it will fit on the top slot (which is x16)... the middle one is the best place, but it is x4!!!

PS look at the picture above I posted. I circled where it is written "x16, x4 and x8"

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
                I don't see why the graphics card you've chosen won't physically fit in the x16 slot, it will also cover the X1 slot which is how it's done on most motherboards.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
                  I don't see why the graphics card you've chosen won't physically fit in the x16 slot, it will also cover the X1 slot which is how it's done on most motherboards.

I think that audio output jacks will interfere with this "double sized GPU" What do you think?
                  Also it can get in the way of RAM slots