Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GPU Died?  (Read 3372 times)

Zaeem

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    GPU Died?
    « on: December 18, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
    Hello guys!

Today, computer locked up (hang) after playing Battlefield 3 for about 5 minutes or so. I restarted it and again run the game and the same thing happened. Then for the third time, after lowering my graphics' settings, I ran the game again, but the computer again froze up. There afterwards, when I restarted my PC, it failed to detect my GPU at all (in the Device Manager), though it was using the DVI port of the same GPU to display very low quality (CPU emulated) visuals, even during the BIOS POST and subsequent start-up phases. So, I had to resort to internal graphic card after this happened and it's working fine.

I have been playing normally for past 2 years with no problem at all. So what can be the possible reason for the current problem? Is it some kind of problem with the motherboard (like faulty PCIe controller) or has my GPU started malfunctioning?

My PC specs are below:
    Intel Core2Duo 3.0 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    EVGA GTS 250 (512MB)
    ASUS P5KPL-AM Mainboard

Any help would be welcome!

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: GPU Died?
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »
    It would be best if you could test the GTS 250 in another computer.
    Did your graphics card shows signs of malfunctioning(artifacts, corruption, etc) before this issue?
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Zaeem

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
      I'll check it on my friend's system tomorrow and post the results.
      Also, it did not show any sign of malfunctioning in the past. It was working perfectly! Plus, I am sure the temperatures would have never risen to a dangerous level to cause this problem.
      Is it possible that the PCIe controller on the MB might have malfunctioned?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)
      The Northbridge handles the CPU, RAM, PCIe, and AGP connections, so there would likely be other signs of instability if it had malfunctioned.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Zaeem

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
        :( I tested another GPU on my motherboard's PCI slot and it worked fine. So, that means... my GPU died! What are the possible problems which might have caused it? I am talking about which physical components on the GPU board might have been damaged?
        Please reply!

Zaeem

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
          Also, my system can still route the output display through the faulty GTS 250, even though it cannot detect it and can't utilize it, even to 10% of its full potential. Moreover, as its warranty has also been expired, I was thinking of opening it up and cleaning it and then heating it with a heat-gun (which I have at my home). Is there be any chance that some component's connection, that might have become loose due to dirt or overheating over the years, get fixed and GPU starts working again? Is there any hope?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »
          Yes... with repeated contracting and expanding there may be fractures in the micro solder joints of the components of your graphics card.
          People have managed to revive their graphics cards with varying degrees of success by baking them in an oven. I have successfully revived a dead stick of RAM with a hairdryer (To be precise, a Panasonic 1200W hairdryer ;D )
          http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=696061&mpage=1
          http://www.siliconmadness.com/2009/06/bake-gpu-bring-it-from-afterlife.html
          http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~ktomlinson6/gpubake.html
          I would think a heatgun could work, but I wouldn't know which particular component(s) to apply heat to...
          DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO CHOOSE TO BAKE YOUR CARD IN THE OVEN, PLEASE EXERCISE PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS (I.E. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES, STAY AWAY FROM THE FUMES AND PROVIDE GOOD VENTILATION, USE OVEN MITTS AFTER YOU ARE DONE), AND DO NOT BAKE ANY FOOD IN THE OVEN AFTER YOU ARE DONE-YOU DON'T WANT TO END UP IN THE E.R. WITH A BAD CASE OF FOOD POISONING.

Zaeem

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
            So, I tried "the baking thing" using my heat-gun, focusing its maximum-sized nozzle directly on the GPU chip at a height of 1 inch for about 50 to 60 seconds. And by the grace of God, it started working, like new! My GPU was resurrected :D Thanks a lot Transfusion for building up my confidence and suggesting me some nice cooking links!
            Now, lets hope it keeps working long enough after its "this" surgery :D