Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot hear laptop sounds, though laptop tests fine  (Read 2789 times)

Emwat Oon

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cannot hear laptop sounds, though laptop tests fine
    « on: December 29, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
    I use Windows 7 on a HP laptop.  I lost the CD with Windows 7.

One day, my mom plugged in some headphones but the laptop continued to have the audio output on speakers.  I struggled with why, googled up one way, and put the headphones as the default output on the Playback tab where it displayed three devices at the time.

The next day, plugged in headphones stopped working.  The laptop no longer recognizes whether the headphones are plugged in or not--the Playback tab only shows Digital Audio (HDMI) regardless of whether the headphones are plugged in or not.  Went to the testing options and the laptop shows the green bars for sound coming up, but really, we don't hear anything.

I think the speakers renamed itself because I don't recognize the "(HDMI)" being there.  Its name is now Digital Audio (HDMI).

There are two audio drivers.  There was also a Coprocessor problem, but I installed a Nvidia driver to fix that.
    Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus --problem with updating the driver
    High Definition Audio Device --drivers are up to date

Went to a driver website and manually installed Convent HD Audio driver but nothing changes.

Tried disabling one at a time then both and still can't figure out what's the problem.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling both of them, but nothing changed.  The laptop's sound is supposedly coming through Digital Audio (HDMI) but no, not really.

It's not the web browser, youtube sounds are not coming out of Firefox or Chrome.
    Went to Windows Update.  It was one major update and four optional updates, but two or three of them failed.  I didn't bother to continue it.

And I tried a last resort: System Restore.  For some reason, I can't use System Restore because my computer couldn't find a sif.dat or something.

And then I uninstalled Malwarebytes, which I installed on October 2nd to fix something else but don't remember.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Cannot hear laptop sounds, though laptop tests fine
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
    Thank you for posting here on Computerhope. What HP laptop model is being referred? Are there sounds coming out when using external speakers?

Emwat Oon

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
      It's a HP G60-445DX Notebook PC.

I don't think I could plug any external speakers to it.  It just has a mic port and a headphones port.  And it doesn't pick up anything when I plug it into the headphones port.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
      It's a HP G60-445DX Notebook PC.

I don't think I could plug any external speakers to it.

when you say this, you just mean that testing with regular speakers or headphones (even if working ones), don't like your laptop and refuses to work?

Emwat Oon

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
        Sorry for the delay- I can only get to the laptop on the weekends.

Yeah, the laptop won't do anything when I plug in the earphones or the speakers.