Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pink lines across the screen?  (Read 10521 times)

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

pink lines across the screen?
    « on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
    Hi, hoping for help. in the middle of playing a game, my monitor got all these pink lines going from left to right across the screen. (looks like a heart monitor). went into device monitor and there is a yellow mark next to the video card. According to driver detective the drivers for the nvidia GeForce 8800 gt needs upgrading. went to dell, and there is no upgrade listed there. Went to Nvidia and they show an upgrade, tried to upgrade with the driver they said it needed but no difference.  Tried uninstalling the drive, rebooted it put it back in and still has the yellow mark.
    Should I pay the price for Driver Detective to install the driver? or is this a dead card?  do not want to pay for the Detective if I will need to buy a new card anyway.
    Any advice will be welcomed
    Thanks Debbie

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: pink lines across the screen?
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
    Since I don't know what make or model your computer is but you did indicate monitor so I can only assume it is a pc not a laptop.  Have you tried hooking a different monitor up to the pc to rule out the monitor itself?
    The Truth is the Truth whether you believe it or not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
    NEVER pay for drivers...or any app that pretends to find them for you...it's a scam.

Drivers are Free.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
    Just noticed it's a Dell...
    Travel to the Dell site ...enter your Service Tag # from the PC and all your drivers will be listed.
    DLoad and re-install the appropiate driver and re-boot...if still the same then the card/chip may be failing.

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
      Sorry the computer is a Dell XPS Demension 630i,  I do not have another monitor I can switch it out with. 
      I did go to Dell,   Guess it is the card/chip. I was soooo hopeingit was something simple   :(

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
      Did you re-install the video drivers ? ?

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »
        Yes I re-installed and when that did not work I tried to update the drivers. no difference.

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
        « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
        Just a thought.  Before you go out and buy another video card try downloading a free program to stress test the one you have.   I don't play games but it is possible it might tell you something about the GPU.  Sorry, can't even tell you exactly what to look for.  Probably temps.  Maybe someone else can be of help here.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4445594_test-video-card.html

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
          ibfox1, I would like you to read (totally) this link. It represents extensive dialogue between one person's seems to me same issue as yours and the evolution of attempts to resolve it with primarily the assistance of one other forum member. It details very well all the things that could have contributed to the problem. That part may serve you to see if you have tried all of them. The good news is that the problem was resolved. But don't jump to the point where it becomes solved because YOUR solution may lie somewhere else along the process.
          http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/nvidia-8800-gt-driver-problem/3960.html
          Good luck,truenorth

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
          « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
          Another couple of things you could try is checking the connections on your monitor.  What size is your PS?  Might need a bigger power supply for  the nvidia GeForce 8800 gt. 

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »
          ibfoxy1, have you tried reseating the card? (taking it out, putting it back in)

Download Speccy
          http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

After you've downloaded it double click on the file to start the installation. Once you've installed it, open it up. At the top of the page go to File and then Publish snapshot. You will see a prompt asking you if you want to proceed with publish. Click yes, then copy to clipboard. Right click on an empty space in your reply box and click paste.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

ibfoxy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
            Thanks for all the help. After trying everything, I bought a new card.  Things are back to normal now.
            Till the next problem ,