Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Nearly Full  (Read 2650 times)

Chris Cosgrave

Hard Drive Nearly Full
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:43:59 AM »
 ???My 40G hard drive has only 5.5 g free and when I have run scan disk in the past it did say I had some bad sectors.  Should I replace (HELP) or can I use an external HDD alongside?  If I use an external alongside can I use the external to load software and do pictures/video transfers or are they only any good for data storage? If I have to replace, is it as straight forward as say a new DVD rewriter that I have just replaced or do I have to give to a shop to do?

brianfall

Re: Hard Drive Nearly Full
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:56:39 AM »
you can install a second IDE drive - it's fairly straight forward providing you have enough room inside your computer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 07:00:33 AM by brianfall »

Chris Cosgrave

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 08:13:42 AM »
Don't think I have much capacity inside the tower which is why I was thinking of an external HDD.  Are they not IDE drives?

chris cosgrave

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »
disregard the last question, I know what IDE is now

:-[

If I can't fit a second drive inside am I looking at replacing the existing?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:36:29 AM »
???My 40G hard drive has only 5.5 g free and when I have run scan disk in the past it did say I had some bad sectors.  Should I replace (HELP) or can I use an external HDD alongside?  If I use an external alongside can I use the external to load software and do pictures/video transfers or are they only any good for data storage? If I have to replace, is it as straight forward as say a new DVD rewriter that I have just replaced or do I have to give to a shop to do?

Before adding or replacing a Hard Disk Drive, first download diagnostic software from the HDD manufacturer.

Your primairy Hard Disk Drive may be failing.