Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does BIOS recognize an external CD-ROM/DVD-RW drive for boot?  (Read 4493 times)

irtree

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Does BIOS recognize an external CD-ROM/DVD-RW drive for boot?
    « on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:35 AM »
    I purchased a package of various parts to build a new desktop PC from scratch, as well as a Windows 7 64-bit DVD. All was presumably well, until I realized that the hardware package did not include a CD-ROM/DVD drive of any sort.

That's not necessarily a problem, because I have an external USB CD/DVD-RW drive. However, I do not know if BIOS will recognize an external disc drive connected via USB in order to install Windows. The items have not arrived yet, but I'd like to get this issue out of the way first.

I realize that BIOS version may be a make-or-break factor. The computer's motherboard will be a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with UEFI BIOS. I can provide additional information if needed, but that's all that I know of that would be relevant.

Thanks for any replies!

Raptor

Re: Does BIOS recognize an external CD-ROM/DVD-RW drive for boot?
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:47:04 AM »
    It should be able to boot from USB devices if it was made in the past 4 years or so.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:12:33 AM »
    There may be a setting in bios that needs to be toggled (ie, something like "enable usb at boot")

irtree

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »
      Definitely made in the past 4 years, so this is great news. Thank you very much, both of you!