Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Open wps. Files Written in Windows XP Moved to Windows 7  (Read 4993 times)

peterdexter

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Can't Open wps. Files Written in Windows XP Moved to Windows 7
    « on: January 17, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
    I moved files from an old computer with Windows XP to a new computer with Windows 7 and I can't open those ending in “wps.” When I try to open them the Adobe Reader X page opens and shows a window saying:

“Adobe Reader could not open 'file name.wps' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged” etc.

The computer, a Dell XPS 8300 has Microsoft Word Starter preloaded on it but no purchased Word programs. Is there a way I can open these files? I am a complete novice.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can't Open wps. Files Written in Windows XP Moved to Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
    This is a 'word works' file. If you have 'word' on the win7 computer you can probably open it by downloading the works converter... looking for link... 

better still

You can use Word to open a Works document file (.wps), even if the file has not been converted to Word format (.doc) beforehand, by using the Works 6-9 Converter. Follow these steps to open the Works document by using the Works 6-9 Converter:

Start Word.

In Word 2000, Word 2002 or Word 2003, click the File menu, and then click Open. In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.

In the Open dialog box, follow these steps:

Change the Look in box to the location of your Works document.

In the Files of type box, click All Files (*.*).

Select the Works document (.wps) that you want to open, and then click Open.

If the document opens correctly, click File, click Save As, and then change the file type to a Microsoft Word document (.doc).
        Save the document and you have successfully converted the file to a Word document.

For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

peterdexter

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Can't Open wps. Files Written in Windows XP Moved to Windows 7
      « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:49:14 AM »
      Thank you. That was very helpful.