Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: the vertical line to the right of the word I'm typing disappears  (Read 8816 times)

Cripes

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    When I'm typing, the vertical line that normally appears to the right of words disappears sometimes.
    This is making it difficult to type or edit mistakes.
    What's the name of this vertical line and how can I fix this problem of it disappearing in the middle of my typing.
    If you want to help me,I prefer,(need) precise beginner type instructions.  I don't understand abbreviated pc tech talk.
     I very much appreciate all help with my pc problems. So I don't want you to waste your time replying with stuff I aint gunna understand. :)
    I'm a slow old dinosaur with a single digit, double handed woodpecker style keyboard stabbing action.
    In other words I type like a pecking chook :)

truenorth

Guru

Re: the vertical line to the right of the word I'm typing disappears
      « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »
      Does this loss of the cursor occur in all your programs or only in one or some? Such as when typing in a word document or in an e-mail creation? truenorth

Cripes

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »
         It can happen in emails and web pages
        If you want to help me,I prefer,(need) precise beginner type instructions.  I don't understand abbreviated pc tech talk.
         I very much appreciate all help with my pc problems. So I don't want you to waste your time replying with stuff I aint gunna understand. :)
        I'm a slow old dinosaur with a single digit, double handed woodpecker style keyboard stabbing action.

Cripes

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
          Does this loss of the cursor occur in all your programs or only in one or some? Such as when typing in a word document or in an e-mail creation? truenorth
          It can happen in emails and web pages

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
            Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? If it is a laptop it could be related to the touch-pad being inadvertently touched while typing. This problem was also experienced by many users in win xp (although this seems not to be the case here). Some in xp found a solution by removing unnecessary start-up programs to retain only those that are essential. I do not know if that can also be a factor in win 7. Has this only recently become a problem and can you relate to any changes that have been made to the computer coincident to it's appearance? truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »
            The OP must be referring to the cursor blink ratehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-keyboard-settings
            If its a laptop, type keyboard on Start - Search Programs and files box. Look for keyboard on result under control panel category and click by mouse. Adjust the slider from there and hit Apply.

Cripes

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »
              G'day,.,I need to edit my OP.This explains my problem better.
              http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,127449.0.html
              « Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:28:23 AM by Cripes »

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:29 AM »
              If this is a laptop turn the touchpad off...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »
              What's the name of this vertical line

The "caret".  But most people call it "text cursor" or something similar.

how can I fix this problem of it disappearing in the middle of my typing.

Lots of different processes can interfere with this.  I'd hazard a guess it's fine in Safe Mode, so try disabling items that auto start (e.g. using AutoRuns) until you find the culprit.

Certain hardware may introduce drivers that cause this problem, notable docking stations for laptops.  Is this true in your case?
              Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos