Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recover files from hard drive  (Read 2599 times)

don ray

Recover files from hard drive
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:09:24 PM »
I have a computer that is dead. No power even with a new power supply.I want to know if I can remove the hard drive hook it up to another computer and save my files.

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Re: Recover files from hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:29:53 PM »
    I have a computer that is dead. No power even with a new power supply.I want to know if I can remove the hard drive hook it up to another computer and save my files.

Yes connect it to another computer like you would a CD drive and in my computer it will appear in place of the CD you can open it and recover all data, disconnect the CD rive Cable and attach it to your hard drive that you wish to recover data from.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »
    Don:

There is one way you may not be able to save the files: If you encrypted them (or used the Windows XP option to make them "private").  You will then be able to copy or move the files but you won't be able to view them.  

Regards,
    Doc

dmarti

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
    Is there anyway to view/recover the files by maybe using ms-dos?  I found info for doing so for windows 98 but not for windows xp.  :-[

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 12:03:33 AM »
    It should work. Give it a try and see.