Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble accessing hard drive partition(s) through external enclosure  (Read 4019 times)

TotalBlank

Topic Starter

• I am a fish!
    • Experience: Familiar
    My problem is that I finally got a new PC running Windows 7 Ultimate and I'd like to transfer my old movies/mp3's/anime etc from my previous 200-220gb hard drive which is partitioned into two nearly equal halves. When I hook up my hard drive into my external enclosure and then plug everything in I go to My Computer and see that maybe 75% of the time 1 of 2 partitions show up. I can access this partition (labeled Local Disk E in the image below) and have been through everything and have mostly copied over whatever I needed (it was a slow and tedious process with all the stupid permissions and taking ownership of everything). Now when I try to hook up my external drive and change USB slots, I sometimes manage to get my other partition to show up (labeled Local Disk G in the image below). I cannot access Local Disk G for whatever reason, it just keeps spinning and spinning as if it were attempting to constantly access the data stored there. I usually have to force close and shut off the enclosure to retry it and attempt it again and again, but this time I was given an message which said "G:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. I don't know what to do, I really desperately need what's on there, I'll have lost over two years worth of downloads, family photos, game mods and a lot of other things I don't even remember because it's been nearly a year since the last time I used the hard drive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Image showing Local Disks

Image showing the parameter error

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Trouble accessing hard drive partition(s) through external enclosure
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:13 AM »
    This has been my observation also. The USB adapters vary in quality. Testing does not produce consistent results, indicating some instability with the adapters.

You did not mention what make and model of enclosure you have. Enclosure made by top brand names have a one-year warranty. Unknown brands seldom have more that a 90 day warranty.

It may be necessary to get another USB adapter for your hard drive; which is better than junking the hard drive.

Chesapeake that I am, I kept buying cheap natters until I got one that worked. Went through at least five or six of them.

Example: At Tiger direct an external IDE/USB adapter is $20. But at Newegg a somewhat different  brand name device is $45.  The One at new egg requires you to use your own power supply. For a reason; the winningly meager supply you get with the $20 device will power a HDD only under a full moon.  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:49:12 AM »
    To the OP: I can think of a few things to check out:

A drive letter clash; you may have more than one device claiming the drive letter G. Go into Disk Management, identify the problematic partition, and assign it a drive letter which you definitely know for sure is unassigned to any partition.

However the 75% of the time thing makes me think it is one of these...

Power drain: the enclosure is getting its DC power from the USB port when it should be using a wall wart, causing erratic operation of the USB interface and the enclosure.

Linked to the previous point, perhaps: poor quality enclosure, as Geek suggests. (Do you have the option of mounting the disk internally?)

Filesystem corruption or hard drive damage. Are the symptoms the same if you plug the enclosure into another computer?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:57:15 AM »
    Much of what I wrote, I now see, duplicates Geek-9pm's very relevant points.

Now when I try to hook up my external drive and change USB slots, I sometimes manage to get my other partition to show up [...] I usually have to force close and shut off the enclosure to retry it

This could be interesting... it makes me wonder if the hard drive is not initializing properly some of the time. This could perhaps be because of the power drain at spin up, or a sign of an unreliable USB enclosure. Do tell us if the enclosure is powered from its own power supply or taking power via the USB port? You have not mentioned the make and type of USB enclosure, and is the hard drive a 3.5 inch (desktop) type or a 2.5 inch (laptop/notebook) type? Also is the new computer a desktop or laptop (and what make / model?)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:19:27 AM by Salmon Trout »

TotalBlank

Topic Starter

• I am a fish!
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
      Couple of questions to answer here really quick. It's a Maxtor PC hard drive. The USB enclosure is a 3.5" aluminum enclosure which has a usb/power plug combination. I plug it into a power bar or wall socket and that then connects to the enclosure then the USB plugs into the PC.

Here's my PC specs
      Code: [Select]
      Processor(s)
      Number of processors 1
      Number of cores 2 per processor
      Number of threads 2 (max 2) per processor
      Name Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
      Code Name Conroe
      Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
      Package Socket 775 LGA
      Family/Model/Stepping 6.F.6
      Extended Family/Model 6.F
      Core Stepping B2
      Technology 65 nm
      Core Speed 1596.3 MHz
      Multiplier x Bus speed 6.0 x 266.0 MHz
      Rated Bus speed 1064.2 MHz
      Stock frequency 2133 MHz
      Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
      L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      L2 cache (per processor) 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      Chipset & Memory
      Northbridge Intel P965/G965 rev. C1
      Southbridge Intel 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) rev. 02
      Graphic Interface PCI-Express
      PCI-E Link Width x16
      PCI-E Max Link Width x16
      Memory Type DDR2
      Memory Size 4096 MBytes
      Memory Frequency 399.1 MHz (2:3)
      CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
      RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
      RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
      Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
      Command Rate (CR) 2T
      System
      System Manufacturer System manufacturer
      System Name System Product Name
      System S/N System Serial Number
      Mainboard Vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC.
      Mainboard Model P5B-E
      BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
      BIOS Version 0306
      BIOS Date 09/06/2006
      Memory SPD
      Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
      Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
      Module 3 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
      Module 4 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
      Software
      Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.1) Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
      DirectX Version 10.0

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
      So did you check for a drive letter clash?
      Have you tried the enclosure on another computer?
      Have you got a spare bay in PC case into which you can mount the drive as an internal one?
      Have you considered the possibilty that the drive is failing?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:57:05 AM by Salmon Trout »