Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer very slow to respond, windows installer missing or corrupt  (Read 4510 times)

kevin4174

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello All

I have had the misfortune of getting infected with the trojan horse generic26.qp virus and after a long time i think my system is clean.

My problem now is that after running malwarebytes, combofix (at the recommendation of a friend), i am trying to access windows explorer to get around and i am finding it super very slow to almost non responsive. i also tried to reinstall my antivirus but fails to install because the windows installer is either corrupt or missing. this also happen with the windows update. i tried to re-register the files as the message suggested for the windows update but no avail.

the last thing i want to do is reload my computer

all help and suggestions welcome

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Hello All

I have had the misfortune of getting infected with the trojan horse generic26.qp virus and after a long time i think my system is clean.

the last thing i want to do is reload my computer

all help and suggestions welcome
    The last thing you do may be the answer. Use a good backup program to save your stuff.
    How does it respond in safe mode?
    Also, you may with to try the Avira Rescue CD.
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system
    In a few cases it can fix the problem. Worth a try.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kevin4174

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sorry i have been a little busy. I downloaded a rootkit cleaner from the avg website, and it appears i had an infection in the root kit (i think that is what it said), i ran combo fix once again and found additional infection, and this was on feb 10. ever since my system seems to be okay.

I will try the link that geek-9pm provided later this weekend and see. Windows explorer and disk management under the computer management are still very slow to respond if it does even in safe mode but it is sparatic. the disk defragmenter seems to be okay in both modes.

I do have backup ups of my data and believe me as soon as this computer is fixed. a really good back up and image is going to be done.

Thanks for the help so far but will need more later.

Kevin