Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: edit index.html at server filezilla chrome file type  (Read 5284 times)

haz

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    edit index.html at server filezilla chrome file type
    « on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
    When I right click to edit index.html (somehow is a chrome file type) it opens as untouchable browser image.  How can I edit my index.html at the server ? [using Firezilla]

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: edit index.html at server filezilla chrome file type
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
    Firezilla is just an FTP client, right?  So, it's just a tool to upload and download to/from the server, it's not a tool to edit your HTML files.  To edit your files, you need to either do that on your PC and then upload them to the server or use a web-based editor provided by your web hosting service, where you would log in to your account with them and use a tool such as the cPanel provided by many hosting services.

haz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
      Tx, when I was trying core ftp le which I gave up on, it appeared I could just click on index.html and change the html... probably fooling myself as the reasdon I gave up was because th servber wasn't responding to my changes !.. In my language I think you are saying keep a library of my html pages in folders on my pc then upload them when changed... I'll try that... still bewildered as to how they become chrome type files.  Nonetheless will try and tx.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
      When you say "chrome file type", do you mean the Chrome web browser, or what?

In my language I think you are saying keep a library of my html pages in folders on my pc then upload them when changed ...
      That's correct.

As I said in a previous post, you can edit your web pages online via your web browser by using the cPanel interface if your hosting service provides cPanel.  To see how this works, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPp8_pswV0

haz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:13:53 AM »
        Filezilla lists the index.html as "Chrome HTML document" under the heading "File type".  I'm not running the Chrome browser or any Chrome products.  Thanks for the you tube tip I'll watch.. for now I just "save as" my notepad html document in my client side of Firezilla, and when i click on firezilla it notices index.html has changed and auto asks me if I want to update at the server (bless it)... click ok and its at the server, then click on my website, refresh and its done, all in about 5 seconds.  Never diagnosed why core ftp le let me down.. is it unreliable with windows OS ?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:07:18 AM »
        Filezilla lists the index.html as "Chrome HTML document" under the heading "File type".  I'm not running the Chrome browser or any Chrome products.

At some time in the past the html file association on your system has been registered to Google Chrome.