Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constant driver fault in AMD 5000 series-atikmpag.sys  (Read 8688 times)

Poissionnariat

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
    Constant driver fault in AMD 5000 series-atikmpag.sys
    « on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
    Tried posting this in computer hardware. Guess with it being a driver issue it seemed suited better here.

The title says it all pretty much. Ive included a BSOD log as well. My current specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - Model GA-790FXTA-UD5
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 3200 MHz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 ( x4 4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3)
    GPU: AMD Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5

The main driver I keep seeing in the blue screens is the 'atikmpag.sys'. The BSODs are mostly "Graphic driver failed & could not recovery" kind of errors. It happens more often in newer games. Battlefield 3/SWTOR are prime culprits. Other minor games such 'Sniper: Ghost Warrior' and even 'A Game of Thrones: Genesis' will crash with this kind of error.
    Im sick of the BSODs! If anyone can shed some light on what the problem may be, please help.

On a side note, ive used the program FurMark before to benchmark my video card and it rarely crashed the drivers surprisingly. It was only when I went to do 'burn in' tests that it auto crashed.

As mentioned above, a BSOD log has been included.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX 8120 8 Core CPU @ 3GHz w/Corsair H5O Liquid Cooling System
    8gb G.Skill Ripjaw X DDR3-2400 PC19200
    MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
    Intel 120GB 330 Series SSD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition
    OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze PSU

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Constant driver fault in AMD 5000 series-atikmpag.sys
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
    On a side note, ive used the program FurMark before to benchmark my video card and it rarely crashed the drivers surprisingly. It was only when I went to do 'burn in' tests that it auto crashed.
    That is an item of interest.
    You GPU is a Radeon 5870 - Right?

Do you have another video card? One that will work in your machine. Even a card with less performance. Try another video card, with the right drivers, and see what happens.

The objective is to make sure it really is the driver and GPU is really the key issue and not something else. Like maybe some buggy games. Or a glitch on the motherboard.

This is relevant, but don;t assume it is the right answer.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/152798-ati-hd-5870-driver-problem.html

I think that n another GPU and proper drives will make it n100% certain that it is really the GPU and drivers.But make sure before you spend a lot of time trying to diagnosis the GPU drivers.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »
    The guy on this forum is having the same problem: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-bsod-with-atikmpag-sys-522149.html#post2942180

And it says [fixed] in the title  :)
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Poissionnariat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
      Well I stripped the drivers, cleaned with CCleaner then used DriverSweeper to delete all remaining traces. I reinstalled CCC and driver combo and haven't seen any adverse effects so far. Been playing Assassin's Creed 2 for hours at a time with zero error. Keep the thread open for a day or so more. Will post again if something comes up.

On a side note, AMD should include all of these processes in their driver installations. They should remove, delete traces and install the new driver. Makes it a hassle to do it every time I get a new set of drivers. Anyhow, thats that for now. Thanks again
      Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Poissionnariat

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
        Sorry to revive the thread but it contains the same information Im about to get back into. Im still having problems with my driver crashing. Itll even crash in Windows outside of a game too. Was just surfing the web and my screen halted and nothing moved (although sound still did play). A few seconds later the screen went black and came back up with an error bubble in my system tray saying that the driver failed and recovered.

Any thoughts on where to begin?
        Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
        Near 100% of the driver issues with Windows 7 64 bit is the drivers are just not right from the start. They don't 'wear out' like tires on your car.  Any and all programs that call directly e into the drivers must also be true 64 bit. Even when the go for hours, they can cause an error later on.

You need to get a video  card that has proven drivers for Windows 7 64 bit. It it is stable with the another card, you have the answer.
        Did you already look this over?
        Understanding hardware and software for 64-bit Windows
        This would imply the problem is not rare at all.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
          • Programming Blog
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
        You said that you installed new drivers right? And it still didnt work. I think the problem is with the graphics card hardware itself. Graphics cards seem to be the most failing hardware now adays. Often it is because of inadaquate cooling. MSI after burner is good for looking at graphics card temperature even  with non MSI graphics. You could use that to check ur temps. If it's not cooling problem, then you will most likely need a new card.
        YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »
        I'm with Linux711 on this one. It really sounds like a failing or overheating card. I'd start with checking the fan is working, and even take the card out, checking the fan and making sure the heatsink on the card isn't clogged with dust and that the slot and contacts of clear and clean. Then put the card back in and try again.