Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How may one install xp pro on asus g73s laptop using dell reinstallation disk  (Read 4282 times)

aa4wp

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    The subject nearly completely identifies the subject.  I have a dual drive g73s with windows 7 one the first drive.  I added a second drive on which I wish to install windows xp pro.  All I have is the reinstallation disk which I purchased with my xps 1710 laptop in 2005.  I have found another use for the xps 1710, it now has been upgraded (?) to windows 7 and is in use under my control elsewise.  When I attempt to install the xp pro on the second hard drive (in the first drive position or in the second position) all I get is a blue screen suggesting I look for a virus (the second drive is formatted and clean).  I wonder if I purchase a second unused installation disk with a new key, etc, genuine (we hope) if that would make any difference.  I am really perplexed with this problem.  I have in times past been able to install from this installation cd in a barebone desktop assembly, without any problem for the first 30 days. 

Anyone have any ideas?  I really want to be able to use xp on this new computer.

Wendell

[email protected]

email addy removed to prevent SPAM.
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:49:37 AM by patio »

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    If you use an OEM Windows disk to install Windows on other computers WGA will prompt you to activate...
    When I attempt to install the xp pro on the second hard drive (in the first drive position or in the second position) all I get is a blue screen suggesting I look for a virus (the second drive is formatted and clean).
    Okay, I suspect that disk may be faulty. Download http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk which will scan for bad sectors.

Another thing I want to add from my experience-if you install windows 7 on one partition and then install XP on another partition the XP installation will rewrite the Win7 bootloader and you won't be able to boot to 7 again unless you run BCDEdit under XP to fix the boot entries. Were you installing XP with ONLY the second drive inserted?
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    The no hassle way is to install XP on the only drive in the system.
    Then later figure out how to dual-boot two drives.
    Or use a BIOS option to swap boot drives.