Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thinkcentre freezes at "system is starting" "to interrupt normal startup, pre  (Read 30081 times)

amazin6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello all, sorry to be such a newbie. I did try to research this but way too many conflicting answers and do not want to make things worse. Bought a PC from eBay and it ran fine. Did not give me any disks with purchase. Put it away as a back up and now will not go past "system is starting" "to interrupt normal startup, press enter" screen. The keyboard num lock will go off if pressed. I tried a different cloned HD and same result. I have a boot disk in CD drive. I can get into BIOS by  holding F1 and changed/saved start sequence to 1- IDE CD   2- IDE HDD   without any success as reboot goes back to same frozen screen.  Any ideas and thank you for your help!

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

amazin6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks Transfusion, I did not explain my problem in enough detail. I have Windows XP OS and cannot get anywhere other than BIOS. I do not see a saafe mode setting in the BIOS. Is there a way to hit a series of keys to get to the safe mode prompts?
      Thanks for your efforts.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      Oops, I'm sorry for the nonconstructive post above. Probably wasn't thinking clearly at the time, but anyways:
      Have you tried resetting your BIOS configuration through the Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

amazin6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Transformers, no worries as your help is appreciated and valuable. I tried resetting CMOS jumpers and taking the battery in and out. I have the boot CD in and no luck. I held F1 and got to a different screen where is says press control s to get into config menu. I did that and it comes to a Thinkcentre screen without the phrases "system is starting" "to interrupt normal startup, press enter". It sits there and if I try control alt delete, it beeps twice and takes me back to a Thinkcentre screen now containing the phrases "system is starting" "to interrupt normal startup, press enter". Try enter and nothing happens. Wish I were more adept at so many things...PC's being one of them.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        So the computer freezes before the OS is loaded, but you are able to get into the BIOS, thus you can't boot from the CD drive. I am afraid it may be a hardware issue...
        If you have more than one RAM module, place them individually into each of the RAM slots and see if they will boot. If you have only one RAM module, test it in each of the RAM slots too.
        Also, according to this thread, http://www.fixya.com/support/t7983516-desktop_not_booting_past_system about an IBM ThinkCentre A51 having the same issue as yours:

First unplug your pc for about a minute without doing anything else to it.
        Next, without it being plugged in, push and hold the power button, and continue to hold it for 45 seconds.

Next, release the power button, and plug pc back in.
        Usually, this will unstick your pc
        If both of the above do not resolve the problem, try booting with only the Hard Drive/ CD drive attached to the IDE cable.

amazin6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Transfusion you are bringing life to where it was once dead. I changed the only memory stick to the other slot and it has gotten to where it asked me to choose what to boot from. i chose the boot cd as the clock was ticking and did not know what to do. Panic.... The cd is running now and I hope I can go from here. i do not have any original cd for windows etc. Thanks so much....

UPDATE   Transfusion knows his stuff!!!!    I am back in and running cccleaner and defragger and it is back to life!!!

It is most appreciated Transfusion!!!!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Transfusion...but close enuff.... ;D
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

amazin6

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My apologies to Transfusion.

I guess between excitement and AGE unfortunately, I tend to mess up.

Thanks to all for your willingness to share your knowledge