Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC just shuts off randomly... tries to reboot but fails to boot sometimes.  (Read 2062 times)

ExpendableG4M3R

Topic Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Hi there,

I am here in bad need of help to figure out what is going on with my pc of late.
    A quick run down of the problem. When the PC is on it will depending on how long its been on will randomly just shut off. When it shuts off, it "sometimes" reboots but most often it "tries" to reboot but fails and then stays off. After this failed try to reboot if I press the power button on the case and mobo, nothing.
    Now if I turn OFF the PSU leave it for a few minutes and come back turn the PSU switch on and press the power button the system comes to life for a second or two then dies and will no respond to the power buttons until I turn off the PSU again.

I have gotten it up and running from this state by leaving it off and unplugged for a couple of hours. When I say the PC comes to life for a second or two, I mean the case fans. If I get it booted up the BIOS is reset to default for some reason. Maybe a dead CMOS battery but I doubt that would cause it to hard crash.

Heat is not an issue, ive monitored the temps.
    Clean install of Win7, not a software issue.
    I get no BSOD when the crash happens. It just powers off like as if I held down the power button for 4 seconds.

I have a short video of the problem, sorry for the darkness, I finally decided to video it and it was 11pm.
    https://plus.google.com/102949446272...0497301/videos

Raptor

video doesn't work.

Tried testing the machine with a different PSU?

Darthgumby

Beginner
      • Experience: Beginner
      Definately sounds like a power supply issue.  Either the one you have doesn't supply enough power to your machine (due to recent upgrades perhaps), or it's just going out on you.  It isn't good for your computer to keep turning on and shutting it off like that - could damage some parts.  I would try another power supply, of equal or grater capacity that you know is working.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.