Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June  (Read 3978 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »
Mozilla yesterday reiterated that it's still working on silent updates for Firefox, and said it should have the   Chrome-like service in place by early June.   

In a sweeping summary of 2011's accomplishments and an outline of plans for 2012, Robert Nyman, a Mozilla technical evangelist, listed silent updates as one the projects the company will finish this year.  "Updates will now be downloaded and installed silently in the background," wrote Nyman in a Wednesday post to the Hacks Mozilla blog. "Silent updates are currently planned to land in Firefox 13."

Mozilla unloads a Firefox upgrade every six weeks -- it launched Firefox 11 just two days ago -- and has Firefox 13's release on the calendar for June 5, 2012.

Full story at Computerworld here:   http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9225235/Mozilla_will_start_Firefox_silent_updates_in_June

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:11 AM »
In my mind once the nightly builds with the silent feature built in start rolling out someone will tinker with it enough to write an extension that turns it on/off without affecting FireFox performance...

So i'm not really worried.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
While I can guess what is probably their reason for doing this, I dislike not having some control over my updates, regardless of what app we're talking about.  I'm sure many users share this sentiment. 

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Beats having those stupid pop-ups every time. Java and Adobe Reader are the most annoying, a lot of people don't understand and even after you explain it to 'm, they still don't really understand why they have to be bothered by it. I'd be all for silently updating that.

Firefox' current update system works pretty well, though but it will be more user-friendly if it silently does it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
It'll get handled RE my post above...i'll bank on that...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
but then when you have a major update, would you want to know when it happened in case something got borked along the way?