Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two computers (XP & Windows 7) sharing dual monitor setup  (Read 16361 times)

bluesman0007

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Two computers (XP & Windows 7) sharing dual monitor setup
    « on: March 25, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
    I have two computers, computer A is running XP Professional, computer B is running windows 7 professional. Computer A is setup with dual flat panel monitors and a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I am in the process of adding computer B. I believe I can share the dual monitor, keyboard and mouse as well as audio by using a switch but am not exactly sure what I need. Computer A is using an invida quadro fx530 video card, computer B is using an invidia quadro 2000.
    computer A was my cad computer plus a lot of junk, I want to dedicate computer B to cad only.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert

truenorth

Guru

Re: Two computers (XP & Windows 7) sharing dual monitor setup
      « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:22:40 PM »
      I have been using KVM switches for a long time. However there is one part of the O/P's requirement that i would like to see explained via the KVM switch route it is this "A is setup with dual flat panel monitors". Given that a single connection will come from a single monitor to the KVM switch how is the "dual monitor" use going to get into the picture? It has been my experience that the usual desire for the utilization of a KVM switch is in the opposite direction IE. depending on the KVM switch used they are designed to allow 2 or more computers to use ONE set of  mouse/keyboard/monitor for ALL the computers connected via the KVM switch. Given that the introduction of the second computer is desired to be able to use as does the current "A" computer "dual" monitors how will that be configured. Not saying it cannot be done i just cannot see how.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
      Buy a pair of switches.

bluesman0007

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:40 AM »
        Once on the right track I found the correct unit (I hope) It is a "2 port dual monitor KVM switch" from the simplified layout I saw it should work. Thanks for the quick responses.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:26:16 AM »
          Good luck.I  would be very interested to see how "a dual port" KVM switch will allow 2 computers to connect to 2 monitors. Please come back after the installation to tell us your findings.truenorth

bluesman0007

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
            Sorry took so long to get back, darn work. System is up and running, belkin kvm. I am now switched, I have video on both monitors from the windows 7 computer, listening to music from my XP computer. Keyboard and mouse works for both computers and video is whichever computer is switched on. Just follow the directions that come with the switch, love this system.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
              Thought we had lost you. Glad to hear that you have achieved your objective. I am very curious as to how you achieved this with ONE dual KVM switch. I have used KVM switches for a very long time and thought i understood them. As i use it there is ONE monitor and two computers.The KVM switch has input links for VGA/Keyboard and mouse from each of the two computers.Then there is an output connection to ONE monitor via VGA.So HOW are you getting the one KVM switch to send signals to TWO monitors? I do know that windows 7 has the ability to send video to a 2nd monitor/TV as desired through the keyboard windows/P keys but i don't see the relevance of that here.truenorth

BrightStar

• Experience: Guru
                « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
                Apparently this is VERY possible now, and has nothing to do with whether you are using XP / Vista / 7 / 8.  I did a quick search on Newegg just now and found a number of 2 port and even 4 port dual monitor KVM's.  The number of ports translates to the number of computers you can have hooked up, and the "dual monitor" is self explanatory.  The link below is for a 4 port dual monitor KVM that allows you to even connect and share audio and even USB devices with all 4 of the connected computers as well, which is a huge benefit.  Obviously other resellers carry same or similar products and there were a number of different products listed on the Newegg site I searched.  As of this date the 2 port models ranged from just under $100 to the mid-$100 range and the 4 ports ranged between around $200-$400, depending upon brand and features.   I was impressed with the features of the IOGear model that I have included in the following URL.  If you read far enough down into the page for this item, there is a very good description/example of how this device can be configured and used.

Hope this helps!  ;D

KVM Model:  IOGEAR GCS1744 4-Port Dual View KVM Switch w/Audio and USB

URL:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107454

P.S. This is my first post in this forum.  I came here because I have  been using a 4 port, single monitor KVM setup, and use dual monitor on my primary computer only.  I have always wished for a solution that would allow me to share dual monitors throughout all of my attached computers.  On a whim today, I decided to Google search to see if anyone had finally come up with a dual monitor solution, and came across this forum post.  Seeing a glimmer of hope, I did some more research and wanted to pass along my findings.  Thanks for the initial post and replies that peaked my interested to do some more searching.  I am really excited to find the above KVM -- it's going to be my next purchase fo sho (along with a couple more dual video cards for my other computers!).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:30:48 AM by BrightStar »

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
                Apparently he solved his issue...he hasn't been back since June...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "