Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer has to manually shut down (No auto reboot)  (Read 6393 times)

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

computer has to manually shut down (No auto reboot)
    « on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
    I have a HP Pavillion computer with XP as the OS. My computer will not automatically reboot or shut down. I have checked and there seems to be NO virus, spyware, or malware on the computer.
    My system model is: HP Pavilion 05 P9851A-ABA 523N 3001211RE101LONDO.
    I also have a couple other issues, but this bothers me most at the present. Could anyone steer me in the direction of correcting this problem?
    Thank You!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: computer has to manually shut down (No auto reboot)
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
    What do you mean it will not automatically reboot or shut down? Please explain the problem in detail.

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
      when I click the start button to restart or shut down, the computer reads it is saving files, then reads that the computer is shutting down and hangs there. It does not reboot or shut down on its own. I have to hit the on/off button and actually shut the computer down and hit it again to turn the computer back on!

computer 12

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »
        to shut it down just trow it out of the window but to turn it on  ???

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »
        HuH ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:43 AM »
        to shut it down just trow it out of the window but to turn it on  ???
        If you have nothing intelligent to contribute please try to refrain from posting. Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »
        when I click the start button to restart or shut down, the computer reads it is saving files, then reads that the computer is shutting down and hangs there. It does not reboot or shut down on its own. I have to hit the on/off button and actually shut the computer down and hit it again to turn the computer back on!
        What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Please boot to safe mode and then try to shut down or restart. What happens?

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
          I went to safe mode and the computer did reboot on it's own. I purchased a program I heard about called RegCure Pro and installed it and it also corrected the problem in regular mode. It also seemed to straighten some other problems out as well. I truly appreciate your concern and desire to help with my problem. Thank You very much!

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
          So you're saying it's okay now?

BTW, registry utilities CAUSE problems, they don't cure them. Even if it seemed to help with this issue, be very careful when using them. You might want to read this:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.