Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to Start Computer  (Read 4565 times)

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Unable to Start Computer
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
Hello

I have an Acer Aspire 5250 Notebook PC. OS is Windows 7 Home premium. I noticed this problem a few months ago but thought it could be something transient. Now I see that the malfunction is permanent.

With the computer OFF,when the AC adapter is unplugged, (as for instance to move the computer to another place), the computer does not start, after being re plugged to the AC mains. If the AC adapter is unplugged for whatever reason, the computer cannot be started again. ??? Last time was two days ago and it took two whole days to get it working gain. I keep on plugging and unplugging, removing and reinstalling the battery, repeatedly pressing the power button, every hour or so and it takes from one to two days of this awkward manipulating to get it started again. Also please note the following:-

1. The AC adapter is working perfectly and there is nothing wrong with it.
2. There are no loose connections or loose contacts.
3. There is nothing wrong with the power button.
4. The computer is always shut down correctly before the AC adapter is unplugged from the wall terminal.
5. The battery is in very good state and it holds a full charge extremely well.
6. Once the computer starts, all other functions work without any hitch.
7. I have performed, in the BOIS menu, a "start up repair" with the result "couldn't detect a problem" and a "windows memory diagnostic" which also came out clean.

What can I do to remedy this.
Thank you
Loraine

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Unable to Start Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Did you ever report this to the company while it was in warranty?

You have outlined all the common issues, so it is hare to guess what could be wrong.

Computer manufacturers tell field technicians to test some thing by direct substitution and not rely on VOM test. . Do you have a spare battery? Do you have a spare power unit? Have you tried the Acer Aspire 5250 with the spare battery and power pack?

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
Sadly, the computer manufacturer insisted on my sending it for repairs without giving any On Line help, at least to pin point the problem. They acted very cagey when I inquired about the closest repair depot to my location. I was intending to take it there to save on shipping and, to ensure they don't make any false claims of damages in transit. They refused to give me the address until I completed the repair documentation! By sheer persistence and considerable effort I discovered that I might end up paying more for the repair than what I paid for the laptop. In some computer forums I found some horrid things about them. So that option is closed.

Regarding the power supply and the battery, I have done all the possible tests on them. The out put voltages, the charging and discharging rate as well as the charge holding capacity are all in perfect order (every thing is only six months used). If you think it is useful, I can do a substitution test. It will take me a couple of days to get at another charger and a battery.

Best regards.
Loraine

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
Substitution is preferred because few technicians have the training requires to do charge and discharge  test on the battery. Also, the internal regulators can go bad and there is no easy way to check them. So a good batter and good power pack is the way they 'prove' the motherboard haws an internal problem.

And the is just the tip of the iceberg. Field testing of  a motherboard is near impossible.And few repair deports are fully equipped for all the diagnostics. The is so much price  pressure in the market today it is very, very hard to maintain a high level of support for products with low profit margins.

Myself, I even avoid buying brand new products when the first come on the market. Sometimes I give in. But if a product has been around you pick up on what issues it has.

If you think the Acer is bad, you may find a refurnished model that has a 90 day warranty. That may be lower cost that doing repair on the one you have.

footnote: I am ranting about the issues here in the USA. In other parts of the world you find some very good techs that can repair anything for a modest fee.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:37:55 AM »
I will do the substitution test and come back to you. Yes, I also believe it is a good idea to wait until the product has been around for sometime before buying it.

I believe this particular model is fairly well known and I have not come across any adverse reports about it. In six months, I have not had the smallest problem except this. I am keeping it connected to mains supply and it works beautifully.

If you would permit me a digression, I have been using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox, all on the same computer for many years without a hitch. None of them have ever crashed, refused to start or done anything abnormal. I use all three of them everyday, extensively. When I read about all the 'crashes' and a multitude of other maverick and capricious doings of these browsers, I am quite puzzled. Could it be that the computer is the culprit and not the browser, at least in some instances. I don't even know what a browser crash looks like.

The issues you refer to, are applicable to me too. I am in Ottawa, Canada.

Best regards. 
Loraine

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
Hope you find a fix. There are so many things that can stop a PC from booting up. And many things that can make it crash. At the present time it seems that  malicious software is the number one problem.
You may have hears the story about a PC repair man that  spread a hostile virus so that people in his town would come to him for 'service'.  He did not care that it also spread way beyond his area.

Hostile software can in fact fake a hardware malfunction. I will decline explaining low that is done. A good idea is use to use Megabytes once in awhile.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

I doubt that will solve your problem...
but you don't know until you try.

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »
Much obliged once again. I have 'Microsoft Security Essentials' installed. I believe it might conflict with Megabites.
Loraine

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
It doesn't conflict with MalwareBytes...as long as you aren't running both scans at the same time which is always a bad idea no matter what scanners they are...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "