Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Series of beeps, bad smell, now 3 long beeps  (Read 9029 times)

Titdent

Series of beeps, bad smell, now 3 long beeps
« on: July 09, 2004, 05:57:04 AM »
I try to replaced my motherboard with a k7t266 pro2, and put a new hard drive.
When I booted it the first time, the fan spinned a bit then stopped.  

1- I figured it must be the power supply, so i replaced the 250W with a 300W (Sparkle Power FSP300-60GT )
2- It then booted, but a series of beeps were produced and I smelled something bad.
3 - Quickly plugged it out
4- Later booted it just long enough to hear the beeps in an attempt to figure out what is going on. 3 long beeps this time, which repeat, but no smell like before.

Absolutely nothing shows up on the screen. I don't think there was a way to connect my power supply in a wrong way so I don't understand why I would have fried something.

You guys know what is going on? I have no idea on earth what to check for, after reading the motherboard manual. Thank you
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 05:59:42 AM by Titdent »

Joleen

Re: Series of beeps, bad smell, now 3 long beeps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:19:37 AM »
Oh I can tell this one is going to be fun.  Nothing like a 'bad smell' to let you know something went south.

What beeps mean..
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Titdent

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 07:12:21 AM »
Got it to boot :

- I looked on the board but could not see anything damaged.
- I then went on the check what beep mean, and 3 long beeps is a keyboard/mouse failure, which wasn't the problem.

Turns out my motherboard was bent enough to make the RAM slot separator useless, allowed me to push in a memory chip the wrong way. The smell was coming from the RAM chip I think. Strangely enough now it boots fine. Maybe for now...

PROBLEM: My hard drive isn't getting detected. With the k7t266 pro-2 if you only have 1 HD it says it must be connected to IDE1, which I did. Didn't put jumpers which should make it a 'single master'. The HD spins. I hope it's not a side effect of the burn. Do you think?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:23:34 AM »
Your hard drive cannot be loaded from or it cannot be detected in your BIOS?

If it is detected in the BIOS, have you tried setting it to either Auto or manual?

I suggest you place the jumper on cable select and then select "Master" in your BIOS.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 07:27:45 AM by Raptor »

Titdent

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 07:30:49 AM »
Ok, I thought in the BIOS when it says 'NOT INSTALLED' it meant that it didn't detect it.  AUTO worked. Thanks!

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 07:49:45 AM »
If you damaged your mainboard I suggest you contact the manufacturer to see what your options for warranty are.

Joleen

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 07:51:48 AM »
The link to beeps didn't list 3 long which fell into the 'other' category pointing to a ram issue.  This works with what you're saying was your issue.  I'm glad it's all cool and the gang.

Titdent

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 09:20:56 AM »
I think this burning smell might have caused a 'pleasant' side effect

(Note: I thought it was unrelated and started asking in the windows thread: http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1089430038):

More information:
(1) memtest86 cannot finish its job, the computer reboots by itself ?!
(2) I took out the second RAM chip leaving me with a single 256meg chip and everything is looking good. I tried rebooting a few times and no problem.
(3) If I put the RAM chip in slot 2 it's ok.
(4) I took out my chip and put a friend's 512meg RAM chip in slot 1. It booted to windows. I then put his second 512meg RAM chip: no beeps, the computer doesn't boot up
(5) I then took out the second 512meg RAM chip, and whereas it worked the first time it doesn't anymore?!

More System info:
- my bios is 2 years old
- I have a 300W supply

In my opinion, the possibilities are:
(1) my system doesn't allow more than 256megs of RAM due to a motherboard problem
(2) no enough power brough to the slots? Bad power supply is a possibility?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 09:56:51 AM by Titdent »

Titdent

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 06:42:57 PM »
I took another board of the same model. Everything works fine now. No problem with the RAM. That motherboard was broken.

merlin

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »
beats a can of beans...lol ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 11:08:48 PM »
    ......There you go , a broken motherboard will do it to you every time.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.