Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: deleted wrong partition?  (Read 8814 times)

Nancy_O

deleted wrong partition?
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:28:10 PM »
Well because of the 30 days of activation is over for my windows xp and now that  my computer won't let me log in I decided to take everything off it and start again.  For some reason my c drive is only 4 MB Fdisk looks like this:
partition
        1            EXTENDED  DOS                     2047 mb     useage    100%
C:      2     Status(A)   PRIMARY DOS        4mb             useage

It won't let me delete extended and I think I did delete primary after formatting drive C:   I tried deleting drive D: which I think my operating system is on but won't let me.  I tried making this my active partition but it won't let me.   Can anyone help me as I think I deleted the wrong partition   I am trying to install win98 but it is saying it needs so many mb's and my drive c isn't big enough!!!  It won't read my drive D: so I do not know what I can do.......

Computer_Commando

Re: deleted wrong partition?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:43:18 PM »
Win98 only takes 300 megabytes or so, so let us know how big the hard drive is total and what your final goal is - 2 separate partitions - one for each operating system, just one, with a data drive so if you have to reload all your data is safe, etc. We can advise from there.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 03:48:38 PM »
If you reformatted your HDD as NTFS, Fdisk can not read it. You are going to have to reformat them using Windows XP setup and abort before it attempts to install it self.

It can only probably read the 4MB drive space which is created during Windows XP partitioning.

Nancy_O

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »
Raptor that does make sense as when I installed xp I did make it a ntfs but for some reason it is on drive d: an extended partition as my drive c: is a primary partition and active.  Now you say to setup windows xp and then abort.  Can I do this with a burnt cd?

Nancy_O

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19:11 PM »
I also forgot that when I am in partition info it doesn't show drive d it just shows
 partition         1         extented dos part.
                    c: 2         primary dos part      etc.

How can I delete partition 1 as it keeps telling me I can't and if I have the operating system windows xp which won't let me log on.  Have I got you confused as I sure am.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
Nancy:

It looks like whoever set up your computer installed the old text-only disk operating system (DOS) on the primary partition (C:), then installed Windows XP on (D:).  You may be booting to the DOS operating system on (C:) so you are unable to delete (C:) while you are there.  

Use a Windows 98 boot disk to start your computer, instead.  If you don't have one, download it and install it on a floppy disk from here:

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

At the A:\> prompt, type FDISK
When FDISK starts, (1) delete the logical drive on (D:) and then (2) delete partition (D:) and then (3) delete partition (C:) and then (4) create one partition that uses 100% of the space available on the hard drive.  (Do every thing in the order given).

Then, press Ctrl, Alt, and Del keys together to restart your computer with the boot disk still in the floppy drive and reformat the partition in FAT32.

At the A:\> prompt, type FORMAT C: and press Enter.  When asked if you want to enable large disk support, answer Y for yes and press Enter.  

After the formatting of the hard drive is finished, put the Windows 98 CD in the CD drive and press Ctrl, Alt, Del to restart the compuer.  If you see a message on the monitor that says something like "Press XX to boot to the CD..." press the key indicated in the message.  The Windows 98 installation should start.

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 05:25:37 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 06:36:39 AM »
Raptor that does make sense as when I installed xp I did make it a ntfs but for some reason it is on drive d: an extended partition as my drive c: is a primary partition and active.  Now you say to setup windows xp and then abort.  Can I do this with a burnt cd?

Yes. You need a bootable Windows XP CD (Copy or legal, doesn't matter).

Use a Windows 98 boot disk to start your computer, instead.  If you don't have one, download it and install it on a floppy disk from here:

Doc, Fdisk nor Windows 98 Boot diskettes can read NTFS.

Nancy_O

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »
Ya that is right as that is what I have been using win98 bootdisk so I went and got a delpart bootdisk like Mac said but this is what I am getting.  Same as before

! Delete Logical Dos in Extended
All logical drives deleted in the extended dos part.

So now I try deleting Extended Dos Part.
Current fixed disk drive:1
Part     Status    Type    Volumn   MB   Sys   Usage
   1`                  ext dos            3067           100%
C:2        A           pri  dos  HD      4    Fat 12      %
Cannot delete ext. dos part while logical drives exist

So now I try deleting Primary
I get the same info with total disk space is 3075 MB
Cannot delete Prim Dos on drive 1 when an ext. dos part exists.
If I try creating a partition it tells me one already exists so.....
Also I go to set active part. I get the same info as above plus it says
The only startable partition on drive 1 is already active????

When I have time I am going to try what Raptor has suggested but Idon't know if my cd is any good.
Another question is when I go into setup to change boot options I don't have the option for 2nd or third boot for cd  My first boot gives me that option and the next two have network instead of cd
I am determined though and I will get this compter going!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:24:43 PM by Nancy_O »

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:36:37 PM »
go to the control panel then click add/remove programs icon and remove winxp from the list ,you will revert back to win98......>>> to do this boot to safe mode.f8 key........on boot..

Nancy_O

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »
Merlin I can't get to my control panel as I can't log on and that is due to not activating windows xp.  That is why I am trying to delete my partitions!  And no I am not yelling.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 03:49:31 PM »

did this have  win98 on it before??.........load the win98 disk......and it will do the rest.....

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »
Like I said, reformat with the Windows XP CD (Choose FAT32).

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 03:59:28 PM »
can be done......winxp disk expired......

Nancy_O

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »
Because my windows xp wasn't activated does that mean my xp cd is expired and won't work?