Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File access denied  (Read 3781 times)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    File access denied
    « on: May 09, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
    Hi all,

I got a USB HDD which contains a hundred GB data of my old PC which was running windows XP.
    When I plugged this USB HDD to windows 7 and tried to copy a document from this HDD, an error message poped up, saying the file could not be accessed because I did not have the permission to do it.
    The file name of the document was green in color, but for other files that I could access, their file names were black in color.
    I have changed to login as administrator in windows 7 but I still could not open the document.
    "File Access Denied or Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected because the file is already in use by other program or user".

Please help if you could.

Thank you

Kitty

truenorth

Guru

Re: File access denied
      « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
      I suspect the key to why the issue is arising is due to the fact the file in question was created in XP and now it is being presented in a Win 7 environment . Presuming that so were the other 100gb of the files then as to why it is only effecting that one file will require someone with more in depth knowledge than i on the subject. However doing some research on the subject the site i am going to list seems to present an understanding of the phenomenon that is quite clear and does explain a method to access the file. So give it a look and see if it will help you and report back if you solve it or need additional assistance.
      http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm
      truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
        Yes that is what my link offers as well,truenorth