Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows xp connected to internet explorer but error message to close  (Read 6948 times)

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi
    I have contacted sky today as our internet is online and working however when I click internet explorer i get the error message that 'encountered a problem and needs to close'. I am on my daughters lap top and I can get internet access wireless on here no probs just seems to be our main desk top -wired. Sky took me through all prtocols, cmd etc..no that it means anything to me but still no joy. I have followed the info on this prev forum -Windows 7 desktop will not connect to Internet but still says it's connected- but still no joy. Any Ideas please?

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Hi and welcome to Computer Hope!

Since you are having problem with your Internet Explorer, have you tried using other web browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome? You need to isolate the problem first. Download those browsers using other computer, saved it in a USB Flash Drive, transfer it to the problematic computer, install it, then try browsing.

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi
      it's like the blind leading theblind here between me and my husband.  8)..thanks for the reply-I have downloaded and just restarting the computer at the moment...fingers crossed

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi
         ;) a new internet explorer-but it didn't work. so we have now downloaded firefox as you said and it has worked!..Thank you for your help but out of interest-what was the problem-we have always used internet explorer and it is still working, as I said, on our daughters laptop?...Phew!

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
          • Yes
        You are welcome!

May I know what do you do exactly before the error occurs?
        Also, can you provide the screen-shot of the error message?
        What is the version of your Internet Explorer?

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

You are welcome!

May I know what do you do exactly before the error occurs?
          Also, can you provide the screen-shot of the error message?
          What is the version of your Internet Explorer?

1. just open up and click on the Internet Explorer shortcut-but also tried the icon in all programs
          2. tried to print , save, copy screen error but it won't let me
          3 IE8

JJ 3000

Egghead
          Try opening Internet Explorer with no add-ons. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

What happens?
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
            • Yes
          2. tried to print , save, copy screen error but it won't let me

You can take a picture of what is on your screen by pressing PRINT SCREEN (PRTSC or PRTSCN on some keyboards). You can then paste the screenshot into a document, e‑mail message, or other file. But I would suggest to paste the screenshot in Paint.

To copy the entire screen, press PRINT SCREEN.
          To copy only an active window, press ALT+PRINT SCREEN.

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Try opening Internet Explorer with no add-ons. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

What happens?

Hi

did this and it worked!...states running with no add ons--can you tell me what went wrong then please?

JJ 3000

Egghead
            did this and it worked!...states running with no add ons--can you tell me what went wrong then please?

Some extra software that was loading with your browser was making it crash. If you want to find out which one it was, you can start enabling them one by one until you find the culprit. Go to Tools > Manage Add-ons.

If you don't want to bother with that, go here and click on the green Run now button:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_freezes_or_crashes/en-us

Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

caps lock1

Starter

Re: Windows xp connected to internet explorer but error message to close
              « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »
              Try to open a new User on your system.

gealdine

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Windows xp connected to internet explorer but error message to close
                « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:54 AM »
                thank you all for your help and will follow through with instructions given. thaks