Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to turn off "find & replace" highlight feature in Word 2003  (Read 7954 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I'm using my daughter's laptop which has Windows 7 Home Edition and Word 2003 loaded on it.  In a Word document I selected a word and went to edit>find and checked the box "Highlight all items found in" >Main Document.  This feature works great and I could use CTRL + page up/down to find each incident of that word being used.  My problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn the feature off so I can use CTRL + page up/down to actually page up or down one page at a time.  I'm stuck showing the highlighted word still.  Currently, my only solution is to close the documet and re-open it.  How do I get out of the "find" mode after I'm done using it?

Salmon Trout

Re: How to turn off "find & replace" highlight feature in Word 2003
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
    The Ctrl-Page Up & Ctrl-Page Down key combinations are keyboard shortcuts for "browsing" through the document. What you're browsing for, a page, or Find, or whatever, can be changed by the "Select Browse Object" button. This is at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar. It is a little circle button with an up double arrow above and a down double arrow below.

Click on the button to reveal the options:

including Page, Find, Graphic, Comment, etc. Pick one, and then Ctrl-Page Up will move you to the previous item, and Ctrl-Page Down will move you to the next item of whatever type you chose.

If you hover the mouse over each one its name appears where the word "Cancel" is in the image above. Select an option by clicking it. The Browse by Page option is the left-most one in the top row.

You can tell if the Browse Objects feature is in the default mode (Browse by Page) because the double arrows are black but when you invoke one of the other Browse By features - such as Find - the double arrows turn blue.

As you will soon realise, the up and down double arrows replicate the actions of the Ctrl-Page Up and Ctrl-Page Down key combinations.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
    How do I get out of the "find" mode after I'm done using it?
    Just click the Close button on the Find and Replace dialog panel, or hit the Esc key. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
    Just click the Close button on the Find and Replace dialog panel, or hit the Esc key.

That's not what he was asking. If you use Find, the browse object becomes the search term until you either close the document or do as shown above.