Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem in Internet Explorer 7 - But works in Google Chrome  (Read 7143 times)

hopingForAnswers

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I have a Web page hosted by godaddy.com

On one to the pages I have a link to an Excel 2007 macro enabled files (xlsm file)

My setup: 
    Windows Vista Home Edition  and Internet Explorer 7 and google chrome
    On the web page - the file is an xlsm files
    In google chrome. it downloads as an *.xlms file
    In the Internet Explorer 7, it downloads as a zip file

I have a friend who is running Windows 7 and the Internet Explorer 9 and she downloaded the file as an *.xlsm file
    I had another *.xlsm file on the same web page and that one also was downloaded as a *.zip file on my computer
    I substituted another file (*.txt file)   and that opened without a problem

Is this a Vista issue, an Internet Explorer Issue or an Excel Issue  or a Size issue or a Godaddy.com Issue

It's my web site - and I have filezilla - and got the file using filezilla.

The first Zip file (from the internet explorer)  was some how damaged and I had an error message 

I just need to understand what is happening  and why.

My question are
    (1)  who is converting the file
    (2)  what do other people get when they try and download the file
    (3)  Should I zip the file myself prior to sending to Godaddy.com

Help

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Problem in Internet Explorer 7 - But works in Google Chrome
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
    though this doesn't really answer your question, I can tell you that newer office documents use "OOXML", for example, this is .docx, .xlsx, .xlsm, etc.

However, what these files really are is zip files. Something along the line is looking inside the file and realizing it's "really" a zip file. I couldn't tell you what, but this might provide a clue for your investigation.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hopingForAnswers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
      I did some additional checking and the downloaded the second xlsm file.

When I opened it - it was damaged - but Excel was able to repair it in seconds.

I reloaded it - (after it was repaired) back to the server  and when I repeated the steps to download the file - it again was converted to a zipped file.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:09 AM »
      though this doesn't really answer your question, I can tell you that newer office documents use "OOXML", for example, this is .docx, .xlsx, .xlsm, etc.

However, what these files really are is zip files. Something along the line is looking inside the file and realizing it's "really" a zip file. I couldn't tell you what, but this might provide a clue for your investigation.

I can confirm this is correct and is probably the direct cause of the issue. This is a problem with Internet Explorer 7 (and some other older versions of Internet Explorer). "Open files based on content" is automatically enabled if using Low, Medium-Low, or Medium security setting defaults.

Go to Internet Options, then open the Security tab, then click "Internet" if it's not already selected.

Click "Custom Level". Scroll down and looking for the option "Open files based on content, not file extension" or something to that effect. Disable this option.

After changing this setting, close all IE7 windows. Reopen and try your download again.

You may also need to change this option for "Local intranet" and "Trusted sites" if the problem persists.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
      Why are you still using IE7?  The current version is 9.  You're way behind with your version.