Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restore Windows Xp Home  (Read 4209 times)

GNSS

Topic Starter

Rookie

Restore Windows Xp Home
    « on: June 04, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
    Gateway 507GR 3.0 200GB HDD 2.0GB  Ram Windows XP Home SP3

I attemted to use Slim Driver Free to update my drivers.  After using it, I had no sound.  After trying several other things to get sound, I used System Restore.  When System Restore finished, I got a message

NTLDR is compressed
    Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart

When I press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart I get a beep but nothing else happens.  What can I do to restore my computer back to its normal condition?  Thank you for your help!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Restore Windows Xp Home
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »
    NEVER use any 3rd party app to update drivers. Furthermore, drivers should only be updated if there is a specific reason or need to do so.

At this point you should probably try a repair installation

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

GNSS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
      Hello again!  I will gather my CDs and attempt this tonight when I will have more time and not be rushed.  Thank you very much for the help!

GNSS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
        Hello again!  I tried starting up using the Windows XP cd and had no luck.  I started up and the first Windows screen came up and then the screen went blank.  I started up a second time with the Windows XP cd and pressed F2 trying to get into Bios.  No luck.  I started up a third time with the Windows XP cd and tried F8 trying to get into safe mode.  No luck there either.  Is there anything else I can try short of my Mossberg 12 guage?   Will I have to wipe the hard drive and then reinstall everything?   Thanks for the help so far!

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:38:17 AM »
        You need to put the cd drive at the top of the boot device order in bios.

GNSS

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
          Hello again!  I wasn't able to get the computer to go Bios.  I tried using F2 but I had no luck.  I got the Windows XP screen with F2, but when I pressed F2 I got no response and the next screen was all black.  I tried holding F2 down and it didn't work and then I tried pressing it over and over but still no response and a black screen.  Any suggestions?  I am at the point that I want to learn how to wipe the hard drive clean and resinstall Windows XP.  What will I need to do that?  Thanks! 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
          Whatever key is needed to enter Setup (BIOS ) needs to be tapped repeatedly way before you see the Windows splash screen...try again.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
          Watch the screen as soon as the system boots and you'll see a message that says "press ???? to enter bios (or setup)". At that point, immediately press that key.