Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer reboot issue  (Read 2415 times)

wa7spy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer reboot issue
    « on: June 08, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
    I have a M350 IXT computer case and a VIA LN10000EG motherboard. When I do control alt delete the computer will shut the processes off but does not re initialize. The same thing happens when I issue the command reboot with Linux. I am using Linux Centos 4.4 command line only. Is there a bios setting or jumper setting I am missing? The power supply is a pico 90 watt power supply with 12volt dc input. In order to reboot the computer I have to push and hold the power switch in for a few seconds to get it to turn it off and then push the power button again to get the computer to come back on and then all is OK and it initializes fine. I need to resolve this issue because the computer is going to be a remote site and I will need to reboot it via SSh from time to time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer reboot issue
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
    What you said seems to be the normal way most PCs work. This is controlled by the motherboard and the BIOS.
    What kind of behavior would you like?
    Do you want to issue a command to shut down and them reboot two minutes later? That would require some additional hardware that you would custom build. Those sort of things are sometimes called "watchdog timers". If a message is not seen after a length of the, the timer shuts the of the equipment, waits, then turns it back on. Does that describe what you want?