Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frozen mouse pointer!  (Read 3817 times)

xristina

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Frozen mouse pointer!
    « on: June 19, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
    Hi

I am not really sure if I am posting this in the correct place, but I really hope so!

Last night, I tried to uninstall a Kaspersky 2011 anti virus program from my PC, as it had expired and kept popping up with an annoying alert, telling me so. I am quite a novice with computers, but know that I needed to uninstall from the control panel etc. All was going well, until it stopped half way through, and said that there was an error, and that it couldn't be uninstalled properly.  I had already downloaded another antivirus program ready to put on (but hadn't installed it).  As the old one couldn't be uninstaled, I didnt install the new one.

As I was not able to unistall/install, I left it as it was (until I could find someone to help) and continued to use my PC for my work.  All was well......until I opened up this morning! It opens up fine, no problems and the screen looks normal, except for one thing......the mouse pointer is stuck in the middle of the screen and wont move!
    I have tried unplugging the mouse and re-inserting (its a USB one), tried using a different USB port (incase the port had a sudden problem), then tried a new mouse, also tried re-booting a few times, but nothing works! The mouse pointer is still frozen in the middle of the screen.
    Incidentally, the infra red light on the mouse is still lit up - if that actually means anything?

Please can someone help? I am not able to do any work, until its fixed!
    Please, when replying, bear in mind .....I am a complete novice - so simple terms if possible!
    Thank you very much!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Frozen mouse pointer!
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

You need to remove and re-install the drivers for the mouse.

Meanwhile, this article can help you get by.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Computer-Without-a-Mouse

The article is goo also for people who can not use a mouse because of physical handicaps.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »
      What changes if anything when you put the computer in safe mode?truenorth

xristina

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
        thank you for your replies!

How can I uninstall/reinstall the mouse drivers.....if I cant seem to do anything once the pc has opened.....I cant click on anything.  I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really dont know that much about computers!
        There were no visual changes when I started in safe mode, all looked the same, started up the same...but still had the frozen pointer!

xristina

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »
          ooops! sorry, just read the link - for using a PC without a mouse! I shall give it a try! Thank you so much!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »
          This is probably a silly question, but this isn't a wireless mouse by chance? (If so, could simply be dead batteries...)
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xristina

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:24 AM »
            not silly at all BC_Programmer.  Not wireless - I have tried 2 others, both wired, and the same frozen arrow appears.  I have not tried the suggestion of re-installing mouse drivers yet, but I will try that when I get home tonight.....fingers crossed it will work!