Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google Chrome User Profile repeatedly corrupted  (Read 6800 times)

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

Google Chrome User Profile repeatedly corrupted
    « on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:25 AM »
    Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3: Google Chrome

Every time I start my computer and start Google Chrome it pops up a message, “Your profile could not be opened correctly. …”.  I created a new browser user profile as per http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142059.  This works for the current Windows session (ie. I can close and reopen Chrome with no message popup) but when I reboot the computer and then open Chrome the message is there again.

I’ve tried creating the new user profile with and without retrieving my bookmarks (as per instructions in last paragraph of above link) just to confirm its not being caused by the bookmarks file.  I’ve had this trouble for about a week and it seems to coincide with a Trojan infection that I discovered when I ran SUPERAntiSpyware (see attached log).  The symptoms of this were general slowdown especially when in Chrome.  This seems to be ok now except that Chrome takes a long time to start for the first time.  Could there still be a lurking infection?  I might add that I’m having the exact same problem on both my Desktop PC and my laptop and both had the same Trojan infection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Keith

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

whathim

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Google Chrome User Profile repeatedly corrupted
      « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »
      These symptoms are still continuing and I strongly suspect a lingering infection so I have started a thread at http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,131746.0.html.  Hope I did correctly - please consider this thread closed.

Keith