Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows update failure, installation failure  (Read 3409 times)

Russ Kludy

Windows update failure, installation failure
« on: September 25, 2005, 12:15:31 PM »
I have an eMachines 333i computer (yes I know how bad it is, but it was all I could afford) that uses Windows 98 and recently in the last year I have develped some problems using the computer.

I had to do a complete re-install of windows, but since it was an emachine and I did not have a working floppy drive to boot from, nor a windows 98 CD (the copy is on the hard drive I would need to format) I probly didn't do a clean install.  ANd since I have been having trouble finding work I really cannot afford to take it into a shop and get it fixed, so I hae been using other peoples computers to get information, and figure out how to fix the problems.

I was able to get it hooked up to the internet (I use a ethernet card to hook up to my cable modem, which my parents pay for) but I am left using Intertnet explorer 4.0  When I load up a page with lots of java or scripts (like msn.com) the page stops loading and a error window pops up saying "there was an error running script.. do you want to continue using scripts on this page (y/n)" the formatting of the page gets skewed, and I can no longer access my hotmail because of al lthe page errors. for some internet sites Internet explorer will just crash, and end up restarting windows explorer

I tried using the windows update, but I get the microsoft page in IE that says it was an invalid address

I was able to downlaod the IE6setup.exe but when I run it it says there are programs on the computer waiting for a reboot to finish installing and wont install IE6

I even downloaded the latest install program for firefox and after it unpacks to 100% and was "Verifying achive integrity" it quits and it was as if nothing happened.. tho I found some files in my temprary folder related to firefox.

Please someone help me narrow down this problem.  I think I am fairly savvy enough with computers to find out information, but there are some technical aspects I do not understand nor do I have an idea to properly solve this problem.

The FTP program I use on the computer works jsut fine, so i can download programs or files if needed with that.

any help is appriciated

Mac

Re: Windows update failure, installation failure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
Use CCLeaner to clean up the drive first of all and if you can, make a drive image to restore with in case anything goes wrong.

Then download IEradicator to a folder and then go through this procedure so that you get a full download of IE6 to install instead of using the small ie6setup.exe

HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IE6 SP1 FULL PROGRAM SYSTEM/LANGUAGE VARIANTS

NOTE: The file ie6setup.exe is specific to the operating system AND is ... ALSO ... language specific.

You START by downloading ie6setup.exe for YOUR operating system & LANGUAGE into a C:\Download folder.

(You can do this for other Operating Systems on other computers if you burn the entire download to a CD-R or CD-RW.)

The C:\Download folder HAS to be opened to FULL screen before pasting the download command into the Run window.

1./ Download the IE6 SP1 Installer from the MAIN WINDOWS DOWNLOAD site IE6 SP1 DOWNLOAD[/url]

2./ Choose the language which you require at the right side of the page.

3./ Download the installer (Approx. 480+Kb) into the C:\Download folder, and open the folder to FULL window.

4./ Go to Start> Run> and cut & paste this line into the Run window, then press OK

C:\Download\ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

NOTE: Copy and paste the above line. Otherwise you can get the syntax wrong.

5./ In the download window which appears, choose the operating system which you want to put IE6 SP1 onto and chose the C:\DOWNLOAD path, in the top window, then press enter.

The IE6 SP1 cabinet files will now download into this folder and you can then either install, or burn to CD.

To install IE6 SP1 first do this...

6./ Remove your old IE completely from your system  using IEradicator for a clean install of IE6 SP1

7./ Run scandisk and defrag.

8./ Run ie6setup.exe to install IE6 SP1 to your system.

9./ Now update your system at the Windows Update site for ALL system-critical and security up-dates.

10./ In IE, Tools, IE Options, Advanced, & under "Navigation" Uncheck:

"Activate install on demand" [Other] , and, "Activate install on demand" [Internet Explorer]

In IE6 Tools, Options, General, set the History to the number you require, then open Settings and set the Temporary Internet Files cache to 20Mb or less.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:50:40 PM by Mac »