Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acess denied to usb devices  (Read 2527 times)

Misa

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Acess denied to usb devices
    « on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
    Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I took my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400, OS Windows Vista) to be fixed. It had a problem that I thought would be related to the screen but finally it was the motherboard.
    The man who fixed it had another laptop just like mine but almost new. He changed a couple of things, then inserted my old laptop's cards (RAM and so) and gave it to me.

I had forgotten my windows password, so he recommended me to use one of those programs to recover it, I did it and now I'm the admin of my laptop.
    Everything seemed to be fine until I plugged a usb flash card in one of the ports. The computer recognises the device, as well as memory cards or external hard disks, but it denies me the access to any of them. I can however use my printer, even my joystick using the same port(s).

I tried changing the permissions, it will not allow me. Everytime I plug any flash card that works in every other computer and I know it's not empty, it tells me it's empty. It shows even the name of the flash card but denies any access to it.
    I uninstalled and installed again the controllers, even in safe mode, with the same result. I ran the antimalware and the antivirus programs in safe mode as well, nothing changed.

A couple of strange things that I noticed and may be useful: my old laptop used to have only a C:\ drive with windows and so on and a D:\ drive with the recovery files.
    Now it's got 2 more drives. One is 2GB big and totally empty (I can use it with no problem) and the other has no name and I can only see it when I run the drives' manager. I cannot access it or do anything with it but opening the "help" file. It's 86 MB big.

The second strange thing is that when I was running the device manager and I marked "show hidden devices", I could see in the devices the icon of "fs_rec" appearing in grey. Now every time I open the device manager it does not show it as a hidden device at all. It just doesn't appear there.
    I looked for the file and it's located where it's supposed to be (windows/system32/drivers) but does not appear on the list anymore.

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me, my knowledge is poor and I have tried my best with everything I've found so far. Have I done anything wrong?

Thank you very much in advance