Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: it erased EVERYTHING  (Read 3294 times)

Deb Gil

it erased EVERYTHING
« on: September 25, 2005, 12:59:37 PM »
I thought i was cleaning out programs that added theirselves to our desk top...in the add/remove programs section...one item called 'sidebar' i removed it and EVERYTHING went with it...now i cant log back on because it wants our windows 98 id number!!!!  We cant find that anymore!!!  Is there anything  I can do...like resetting the computer back a day before i did this???OMG please help!!!  my kids need it for school work!  thank you in advance.

pcdoc4christ

Re: it erased EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:57:43 PM »
Deb:

What exactly "wants the windows 98 id number"?  Please leave a reply, here, and type the message exactly as it appears on your computer monitor.

Best regards,
Doc

Deb Gil

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 02:03:44 PM »
after i turn the puter back on ...it goes into windows 98 setup wizard....after i click on agree then goes to asking for windows 98 product key # that supposedly came with the computer....as i said...i no longer have this!!!  ACK im going to slap myself silly for just pushing buttons!

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 04:58:59 PM »
If you have a '98 bootdisk or can get to the C:\> prompt what do you see when you type - dir /p - ?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 05:45:18 PM »
On a Win98 machine, you can do a scanreg/restore I believe

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »
Did you ever notice how many people do not have or have lost their Win98 install media or license keys or BOTH?

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 05:50:13 PM »
to login to windows.....click the ok button......

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 06:01:28 PM »
Did you ever notice how many people do not have or have lost their Win98 install media or license keys or BOTH?

Amazing isn't it? How does it happen? Of course you don't have that problem with Linux ... yet.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 06:09:58 PM »
When it's non expensive, or even free, and without restrictive licensing, it becomes a non-issue. However when Microsoft Linux comes out they will change all the rules. Where do you want to go today?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 06:11:05 PM by GX1_Man »

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 06:18:10 PM »
The easy way is this>http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

the harder way is regedit......

do you get into safe mode?