Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive enclosure 3.5 for Mac  (Read 8233 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Hard drive enclosure 3.5 for Mac
    « on: July 13, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
    Can anyone recommend a hard drive 3.5 enclosure suitable Mac drives ? Also a docking station suitable for Mac drives that take 2.5 and 3.5 drives? Ojas
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Hard drive enclosure 3.5 for Mac
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
    I am not sure about a docking station, but for the first part of your question, are you looking for an external hard drive enclosure?
    Mac drives are not different than regular PC drives, but you will need to find out what kind of drive it is. There are external enclosures widely available for all kinds of drives. www.newegg.com is a great place to look, but you need to know what kind of drive it is first (e.g. SATA, ATA, IDE, &etc.)
    What kind of Mac do you have?

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
      « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
      My Mac  is iMac  running snow leopard but the drive had the normal sata data and power connectors but also had an extra connection on the back it was a small the pin. I have never come across this  before. Ojas
      Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
        My recommendation (as i brought to the attention of forum members quite some time ago) is what i would refer to as a portable interchangeable docking station. This gives you the greatest opportunity for versatility and portability for multiple hard-drives without reliance on a one for each solution. There are many available. Here is a link to some of them.
        http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=pd_sl_2mv0ju9u5q_b?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdd+docking+station&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=14713686946&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=996259775412383292&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b
        truenorth

mountainLion

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
          Any hard drives will work with iMac, for Macs, some external drives have Firewire instead or on top of USB. Firewire provides a faster transfer rate then USB2.0. Just do not get any older hard drives that still use USB 1.0. Some hard drive pre formatted to NTFS for Windows PC. But you can always use Disk Utility on your iMac to partition/reformat to Mac OS Extended (Jornaled)   and use GUID partition table.
          iMac OSX, Macbook Air Mountain Lion, Home make PC Windows 8 Preview Compaq Laptop Windows 7 and Windows 8, Dell Laptop Linux Ubuntu.

JaCooke

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
            Any hard drives will work with iMac
            What about docking stations? Any will do?