Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to select the default Windows 7 OS at boot, cannot get into windows  (Read 3332 times)

Cobra

Topic Starter

Rookie

so, there was a problem with the bootup, and i popped in the windows 7 installation DVD, and repaired it(via system repair). all went well, i was able to get into windows. the "select which os to boot from" message popped up, so i disabled that and chose the wrong OS to be the default, the corrupted one [which is called "windows 7 home premium (recovered)]. i also, foolishly, set the timer to 0, so i can't even choose the "other" windows 7 os, the one that is not corrupt. also, bcedit does not work on DOS prompt. how can i get the default OS boot menu before bootup, again? thanks in advance

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    You now have 2 installs of Win7...
    That being said at bootup immediately strt tapping F8 which will bring up the advanced boot menu...
    From there you should be able to undo the things you chose poorly on...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Good evening

I can help you but I do need a little info from you to help you.

What company made the PC, Custom, HP, Dell etc

What windows 7 disk are you using a OEM, Retail etc

Do you know what version of windows 7 it is, Basic, Home prem,Pro etc

Thanks Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?