Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB mouse erratic  (Read 9810 times)

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    USB mouse erratic
    « on: July 28, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
    Hello forum, it's my first post. First of all, I've tried multiple mice, this one is a brand new Logitech, works fine on the other computer. Sometimes it works fine, but other times it is very erratic.

I've turned off some of the default touchpad drivers and it helped a little, and I've gone into add/remove programs and msconfig to delete or turn off possibly conflicting processes.

Is there any way I can prioritize my mouse above other processes? It almost makes me want to get a different computer, which is a Dell Inspiron. The Intel Core i5 processor was a huge let down; I thought it would be much better, and this mouse issue makes me want to throw the computer in the trash.

truenorth

Guru

Re: USB mouse erratic
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
      There are a variety of possible solutions for this issue.
      1. Have you tried another usb port?
      2.Do you have the latest mouse driver?
      3.Is there a battery in your mouse if so is it in good condition?
      4. Have you gone to the system tray on your Inspiron and disabled the touch-pad  function?
      truenorth

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »
      Good evening avatar4281

The suggestions from truenorth is correct but I have a couple of questions that may help you.

#1...What model Inspiron is your laptop?
      #2...What OS (operating system) Windows 7?
      #3...Is the laptop under warranty?
      #4...When you plug the mouse into the PC does windows tell you it can not install it or recognize it.
      #5...Go into the device manager when that is open look up top for "view" then click on show hidden devices and is there any yellow !

Please let us know how you are making out. Mike 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
      Wired...or wireless ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
        There are a variety of possible solutions for this issue.
        1. Have you tried another usb port?
        2.Do you have the latest mouse driver?
        3.Is there a battery in your mouse if so is it in good condition?
        4. Have you gone to the system tray on your Inspiron and disabled the touch-pad  function?
        truenorth

1. Yes, all my USB ports have the same problem.
        2. I looked on Logitech's website and found no additional drivers for it.
        3. The battery and mouse are brand new. I bought a new mouse just to troubleshoot the problem.
        4. I turned off the only available startup item concerning the touch-pad and it didn't help, but now I can't turn off my touchpad when the mouse is plugged in, which is really annoying.

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
          Good evening avatar4281

The suggestions from truenorth is correct but I have a couple of questions that may help you.

#1...What model Inspiron is your laptop?
          #2...What OS (operating system) Windows 7?
          #3...Is the laptop under warranty?
          #4...When you plug the mouse into the PC does windows tell you it can not install it or recognize it.
          #5...Go into the device manager when that is open look up top for "view" then click on show hidden devices and is there any yellow !

Please let us know how you are making out. Mike

1. Dell Inspiron N5110
          2. Windows 7
          3. Yes, but it pretty much always had this problem.
          4. No, it installs the mouse just fine.
          5. There are no yellow question marks.

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
            Some more info:
            -Wireless mouse, but same problems wherever I take it so I don't suspect interference.
            -The mouse works perfectly sometimes, but any demand on the processor makes it run terribly. When it is erratic, the touch-pad mouse is fine.
            -It is not the mouse. My mouse is a brand new Logitech Go Anwhere MX that even works on glass. I've tried it on glass on the other computer and it works perfectly.

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:38:23 AM »
              I've found something that improved the mouse, but did not fix it entirely: disabling ActiveIdentity, which is a smart card reader. However, I need to use this software sometimes, so it is not really a fix. The mouse is still choppy, but at least it is usable.

It seems as if when there are ANY other processes running, they take presidence over my USB mouse, which causes it to be very choppy. Is there a way to change this?

Perhaps it is a problem with Logitech mouse drivers themselves, but I do not have another mouse to check this idea.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
                Yes that is where my thoughts were going as well, That it could be an issue related to some kind of incompatibility between that particular mouse (brand or otherwise) that is the basis of the problem. I haven't done any research yet to see if there are any reported anomalies with the computer/o/s/ or that mouse. Have you looked for that/ If you can access Logitech by phone and discuss it with them i would try that.When i have more time i'll try to research the combinations and see if anything arises.truenorth

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
                Good afternoon avatar4281

I did some searching and on the logi site the mouse is not well liked http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/6536/logitech-anywhere-mouse-mx-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating&dir=asc

My self I have 2 logitech wireless mice and have had nothing but great luck as with most of there devices. But out of curiosity your mouse is just wireless and NOT Bluetooth right form the specs it is just a reg wireless mouse.

What if you updated your touch-pad drivers if making adjustments to touch helps the mouse maybe updating the drivers will help and are you using the Logitech Windows 7 drivers or the native windows 7 drivers?

Here is the link for the windows 7 drivers http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/mice/anywhere-mouse-mx?selectedcid=6536&osid=14&selectedcrid=398&bit=32

Good luck and please let us know how you make out, Mike
                Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?