Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install Windows 7 via Flash Drive  (Read 3400 times)

toejamtea

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Install Windows 7 via Flash Drive
    « on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
    I have a Sony VGC-RB50 currently running Windows XP. I have a flash drive with Windows 7 on it and want to install it, as well as remove all currently existing partitions and files.

I have the USB drive plugged in. At startup I press F2 to enter BIOS and change the Boot Order. I set the 1st option to "Removable Dev.", then hit F10 to Save and Restart.

The computer seems to ignore this change and continues to load Windows XP. I have 6 USB ports and I've tried all of them. Any ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Install Windows 7 via Flash Drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
    Well, a few questions.
    Why not install Windows 7 from your DVD?
    And how did you get Windows 7 on a USB?
    You may have already read this:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

TechnoGeek

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
    this tool from microsoft: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
    the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, saves a windows 7 (or 8) iso to a USB key or a DVD. if you used a different tool, it might be a better idea to use microsoft's own.

Anyway, if the issue is booting from the key, try pressing F10 to open 'boot menu' when you see the sony logo. The exact key should be displayed near the message to press F2 for setup. If you have this option, it should let you pick USB key to boot and override the BIOS settings, which might not be being saved properly.

toejamtea

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
      Hey guys, the issue is resolved. My computer just isn't able to boot from USB because it's pretty old and the feature wasn't used much then, around 7 years ago. I bought a blank DVD and all is fine now. Thanks!