Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 backup image restore, now Two Windows options at startup  (Read 6068 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
So, here I am again!

My specs are :

Dual Boot OS  Windows 7 64-bit, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Video card       ATI Radeon HD 7750 / ATI Radeon HD 5570
Processor        AMD Phenom 2 quad core
Ram                 16 gigs
Motherboard   MSI 870A-G54
Power supply  Corsair GS 600

The background

My issue began a while ago, I had problems getting into Windows as it kept giving me an error. This was solved by doing a restore form a disc image. Original thread here.

But now, when I start my computer and select an OS, Windows 7 is listed twice, one is the broken installation(gives me the error from the above thread) and the other is the good installation. I formatted the Windows drive, and installed another (more recent) backup image, but it seems there is a problem with the image backup I have. Unfortunately I have deleted older backups, all the ones I have, are ones with both a "good" and "bad" OS. I still have my original Windows 7 installation disc and key, but choosing "repair" does not help, as it shows I have only 1 Windows 7 install (the good one I am guessing, as it does not fix the "bad" one as shown in my other thread.)

I made sure when I formatted that I removed all partitions, formatted the whole drive, then when I placed the image backup on the drive it partitioned the drive, one partition (C:) with the boot stuff on it and the other partition (Call it B:) for everything else. I am certain the back up is faulty as I placed the backup on another drive ( a completely different hard drive) it still listed 2 Windows 7 installations.

My questions are :
1. Is there a way to remove/uninstall the "bad" version of windows?

2. How can I tell which one is the "bad" one when removing/uninstalling it? I can only tell when I try to boot it, the two installations are both listed simply as "Windows 7".

3. This is more of an observation. I have been having a lot of problems with this drive lately, but all diagnostics return clean, and I never have freezing problems, or weird sounds from the drive. It tends to be just file/OS problems like this. Would using another drive help prevent this? Is there any reason why it could be the drive and not the installation, or should I be weeding through my programs to see if it is one of them? All my anti-virus scans run clean though. Do I just have bad luck?

I am not too familiar with using computer terms, so if I used one incorrectly, I am sorry. Hope this post is understandable.

Thank you for any help!  ;D

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 7 backup image restore, now Two Windows options at startup
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »
Good evening Mayuukosan and welcome back

Yes this happens to a lot of people

When you formatted & re-installed there was a "ruffly" 100meg partition left so that is why you are seeing too. When W7 is installed it creates the small UT partition. If you are working and really don't want to Redo the whole thing I would let it be.

But if you decide to do a "FULL" clean install (Full format) you are stuck with it.

But if you do that just install Windows 7 first then Linux afterwards. Then put all your data back, MS updates etc etc.

Good luck, Mike     
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:12:52 AM »
When you formatted & re-installed there was a "ruffly" 100meg partition left so that is why you are seeing too. When W7 is installed it creates the small UT partition. If you are working and really don't want to Redo the whole thing I would let it be.

But if you decide to do a "FULL" clean install (Full format) you are stuck with it.

But if you do that just install Windows 7 first then Linux afterwards. Then put all your data back, MS updates etc etc.

Good luck, Mike     

So, does this mean I am stuck with the "bad" version of Windows? There is no way to fix it other than a full re-install?

My only option is to re-install and start from scratch? That is bad luck.

Also, my Linux is on a completely separate hard drive, would I really have to re-install that as well? :/

Thank you, I have seen you around here a lot recently, you are doing a good job.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:52 AM »
But now, when I start my computer and select an OS, Windows 7 is listed twice

Are you talking about the Grub menu?

I still have my original Windows 7 installation disc and key, but choosing "repair" does not help, as it shows I have only 1 Windows 7 install

You probably do only have the one, you just still have the old entry in your boot/grub/grub.cfg file. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but try this:
In Ubuntu open the terminal.
To open the terminal click on your dash and type terminal into the search box, then click on the terminal icon. Or simply press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard.
At the terminal type in
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub then press enter.

After the update, reboot and check your list of operating systems again. Is the old windows still there?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »
When you formatted & re-installed

She didn't format or reinstall. She restored to a good disk image.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »
She didn't format or reinstall. She restored to a good disk image.

Yes it was posted and I interpreted it was formatted and re-installed (either from a image or disk it doesn't matter) if the image contains bad / incorrect saves. The only fix is to save your personal data (pic's, document folder, bookmarks etc) and what is considered a disc by disc install. This means full format, install windows and apps then install Linux and apps, AV suite once everything is complete and to your liking then make a good image for future use.   

I made sure when I formatted that I removed all partitions, formatted the whole drive

The info that JJ3000 gave you for updating grub may work but if you think your Image has the bad and good window images than there is no fix and must be done by disc by disc install, Good luck Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 03:28:09 AM »
Are you talking about the Grub menu?

Maybe, I am talking about the Boot List I see just after the BIOS screens. It has listed Ubuntu, Memtest64+, Windows 7, and (again) Windows 7. Is this called the Grub menu?

You probably do only have the one, you just still have the old entry in your boot/grub/grub.cfg file. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but try this:
In Ubuntu open the terminal.
To open the terminal click on your dash and type terminal into the search box, then click on the terminal icon. Or simply press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard.
At the terminal type in
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub then press enter.

After the update, reboot and check your list of operating systems again. Is the old windows still there?

Yes, both Windows installs are still there. I tried booting without the Ubuntu drive even(I unplugged it), just to make sure, but even then using the Windows boot list (grub menu?) it shows 2 of Windows 7 installs.

In Windows 7, after Googleing a bit, I found if I go to Start> Right click Computer choose Properties> (a control panel window opens, the System information page) then choose Advanced System Settings(New window appears), under Startup and Recovery choose Settings....(new window appears), Under System Start up it has a drop down list, it says Installed Operating Systems. Windows 7 is in that list twice.

Yes it was posted and I interpreted it was formatted and re-installed (either from a image or disk it doesn't matter) if the image contains bad / incorrect saves. The only fix is to save your personal data (pic's, document folder, bookmarks etc) and what is considered a disc by disc install. This means full format, install windows and apps then install Linux and apps, AV suite once everything is complete and to your liking then make a good image for future use.   

The info that JJ3000 gave you for updating grub may work but if you think your Image has the bad and good window images than there is no fix and must be done by disc by disc install, Good luck Mike

I suppose I need to use words better, haha. Sorry. I did format, and restore to a disc image, and I have done so 3 times now (To the 3 disc images I have) but I continue to see 2 Windows options at boot. I think it may be from the times I tried system repair when I had the "no such device:" error referred to in the first post. All of my images are from after that point.

If possible I would like to not re-install and start from scratch, but if I have to I will. I just wanted to see if there was any way to not start from scratch, as I lost my Windows Office discs and need them for school.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
In Windows, click start and type diskmgmt.msc into the search box and press enter. This will open disk management.

Upload a screenshot of the disk managment window for us. If you're not sure how to take or post a screenshot, follow evilfantasy's instructions here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=61232.0
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:12:55 AM »
In Windows, click start and type diskmgmt.msc into the search box and press enter. This will open disk management.

Upload a screenshot of the disk managment window for us. If you're not sure how to take or post a screenshot, follow evilfantasy's instructions here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=61232.0

Here you go. The disc 0 is my Windows disc. Disc 1 is my Ubuntu disc. 3 and 4 are externals. Thank you.