Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is there a way to update windows me now adays?  (Read 59144 times)

drivers

Topic Starter

Beginner

is there a way to update windows me now adays?
    « on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »
    if so, how?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: is there a way to update windows me now adays?
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »
    MS dropped Windows ME some time ago. Even XP is now dated.
    What band of computer? Did ME come with it?
    What at the memory and CPU specs?

drivers

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »
      compaq presario, yes it came with windows me, 750mhz amd duron, came with 64mb ram but currently have 448 installed, ive used windows xp on it as well but obviously computer works alot  better with windows me, i know ms dropped support for it, but i was just asking if its possible to get those updates elsewhere

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:44:26 AM »
      i know ms dropped support for it, but i was just asking if its possible to get those updates elsewhere
      If MS didn't make the updates, they don't exist...

There is, however, something akin to the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack, which rolls up hotfixes that wouldn't normally have been pushed through windows Update.

You can find this here. This is the forum topic for it[/url]. Use at your own risk, and all that stuff.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

drivers

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
        If MS didn't make the updates, they don't exist...

There is, however, something akin to the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack, which rolls up hotfixes that wouldn't normally have been pushed through windows Update.

You can find this here. This is the forum topic for it[/url]. Use at your own risk, and all that stuff.

thanks, what about linux, what linux distro would be good for that computer with those specs?, im just trying to make this computer useable since it still runs as good as when i first got it 11 years ago lol, if worst comes to worse  ill put xp back on it, im just trying to find an os that doesn't slow down its performance

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:44:36 AM »
        This may be of interest. It looks OK.
        http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-ME-Update/3000-18513_4-35743.html
        However, when you try to download, nothing happens.
        Publisher's Description
        From Microsoft:
        Microsoft has issued a software patch for what it calls a critical security flaw in its Windows Millennium Edition operating system, according to the company's home page.
        There are other places that claim to have ME updates.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
        Duron was a very low end CPU. If it were a Pentium III or even an Athlon it would run better for more modern OS. With my experience with older same era CPU's XP will run nice on them until you add service packs and the over 100 updates. I have a Pentium III 600Mhz Laptop that I run at Windows XP Pro SP2 with 384MB Ram and it runs at a good speed at that. If I install SP3 and all updates it slows to a crawl. So I no longer use this laptop for anything that has to be secure or personal since I cant patch it to latest and have it still be a computer that is enjoyable to work with.

I tried a number of Linux Distros on the Pentium III 600Mhz with 384MB Ram and the biggest issue I found was that many of the modern distros call for 512MB Ram minimum with 1GB recommended such as Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. For a short while I ran my laptop on Fedora 5 and it ran at a good pace, but Fedora is now at version 17.

So my laptop no longer can run a modern GUI OS that is patched to the latest and still enjoyable, so I now use it as a beater to program on offline since Windows XP Pro SP2 still allows support for many modern apps which are no longer supported under the original Windows 98SE OS that my laptop originally came with.

*Personally Windows Me was one of the worst OS MS ever made. If you could find an Athlon CPU to upgrade to you would get better performance. You might be able to find one for less than $20 that would install into your system. Knowing what you have for a motherboard would help know what CPU's are compatible. Some boards you have to stick with the same CPU speed, so 750Mhz Athlon is the best choice, however if your motherboard supports faster, I'd go with the fastest available for your money if you want to invest in this computer vs retiring it. I had a eMachine once that was a 2.0Ghz Celeron, and the motherboard would not take a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4. I ended up having to stuff a 2.0Ghz Pentium 4 into it to squeeze out as much performance as I could out of it as for there was no BIOS flash to support any faster socket 478 CPUs. This eMachine was engineered with Planned Obsolescence in mind to install a motherboard that will only take 2.0Ghz socket 478 CPU's! I'd go with Windows XP, Athlon CPU 750Mhz or better if motherboard supports faster, get your Ram count to max of 512MB, unless your shared video is dropping you to the 448MB now, in which adding a video card can free up this Ram back to 512MB even if using a PCI graphics adapter if a AGP slot is unavailable. However if you dont already have the OS and hardware already, with excpetion to a $20 CPU upgrade you might be looking at wanting to invest the money into a new Motherboard, Ram, etc or completely new PC for like $349 for a low end new PC which would process way faster and be Windows 7 and more secure than a dated OS. Also if you want to play video games you will want to stick with Windows! I got games to run thru WINE, but they act up.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
        Here is a comparison of the Duron vs Athlon 750 Mhz. My friend had a Duron 800Mhz 4 years ago and he was able to go with a 900Mhz Athlon in his motherboard. Performance increase was like night and day. Unreal Tournament 99 use to be choppy with the Duron 800Mhz, and the game was no longer choppy at 900Mhz Athlon. The extra L2 Cache is important for games.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

drivers

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
          Duron was a very low end CPU. If it were a Pentium III or even an Athlon it would run better for more modern OS. With my experience with older same era CPU's XP will run nice on them until you add service packs and the over 100 updates. I have a Pentium III 600Mhz Laptop that I run at Windows XP Pro SP2 with 384MB Ram and it runs at a good speed at that. If I install SP3 and all updates it slows to a crawl. So I no longer use this laptop for anything that has to be secure or personal since I cant patch it to latest and have it still be a computer that is enjoyable to work with.

I tried a number of Linux Distros on the Pentium III 600Mhz with 384MB Ram and the biggest issue I found was that many of the modern distros call for 512MB Ram minimum with 1GB recommended such as Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, etc. For a short while I ran my laptop on Fedora 5 and it ran at a good pace, but Fedora is now at version 17.

So my laptop no longer can run a modern GUI OS that is patched to the latest and still enjoyable, so I now use it as a beater to program on offline since Windows XP Pro SP2 still allows support for many modern apps which are no longer supported under the original Windows 98SE OS that my laptop originally came with.

*Personally Windows Me was one of the worst OS MS ever made. If you could find an Athlon CPU to upgrade to you would get better performance. You might be able to find one for less than $20 that would install into your system. Knowing what you have for a motherboard would help know what CPU's are compatible. Some boards you have to stick with the same CPU speed, so 750Mhz Athlon is the best choice, however if your motherboard supports faster, I'd go with the fastest available for your money if you want to invest in this computer vs retiring it. I had a eMachine once that was a 2.0Ghz Celeron, and the motherboard would not take a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4. I ended up having to stuff a 2.0Ghz Pentium 4 into it to squeeze out as much performance as I could out of it as for there was no BIOS flash to support any faster socket 478 CPUs. This eMachine was engineered with Planned Obsolescence in mind to install a motherboard that will only take 2.0Ghz socket 478 CPU's! I'd go with Windows XP, Athlon CPU 750Mhz or better if motherboard supports faster, get your Ram count to max of 512MB, unless your shared video is dropping you to the 448MB now, in which adding a video card can free up this Ram back to 512MB even if using a PCI graphics adapter if a AGP slot is unavailable. However if you dont already have the OS and hardware already, with excpetion to a $20 CPU upgrade you might be looking at wanting to invest the money into a new Motherboard, Ram, etc or completely new PC for like $349 for a low end new PC which would process way faster and be Windows 7 and more secure than a dated OS. Also if you want to play video games you will want to stick with Windows! I got games to run thru WINE, but they act up.

im not really looking to put anymore money into this machine, the tower/monitor/mouse/keyboard as a set is prob not even worth 20 bucks, i already have a windows 7 laptop which i bought last year so its not like im trying to use the old machine as a main one, was just looking for a way to boost up performance, only game i play is warcraft 3 and i feel with windows me the game runs better due to the os being lighter than xp but obviously the os is obsolete which i also wanted it for some internet use but cant get a newer browser, best thing ive done with it is install firefox 2.0 and i can browse most sites, but i cant install flash/java among other things , which requires a newer browser

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
          If you don't want to pay any money...
          The is nothing you can do...
          ..except speeding a lot of time trying to sharpen an old pencil.  :D

drivers

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
            i was just asking if the things i were asking were possible, i also said i can always go back to xp, just seeing if i had other options thats all, putting any money in an 11 year old pc is not really smart or worth it, with that said, i pretty much got the answers i was looking for, thanks for your help

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
            Duron was a very low end CPU. If it were a Pentium III or even an Athlon it would run better

The Duron was an AMD single core CPU which was basically an Athlon with less cache, in fact many Duron models were reject Athlons where the processor core was OK but the cache failed. Duron was often a favorite of computer builders looking for performance while on a tight budget. They were very overclockable. Benchmarks showed that for many tasks a 750 MHz Duron could trash a 1000 MHz Pentium III. They were by no means "low end". In 2002 I had a 750 Duron system with 512 MB RAM and it ran XP pretty well.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »
            I'd get a copy of Win2K...add some RAM if doable and move on...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Adviser
              • Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »
            i Agree with Patio. I personally still have an old AMD duron running at 900MHZ and 512 mB ram running XP home SP2, with a 20GB drive. for a 12-13 year old PC its still VERY good. i have it running for my brother as a school PC. and yet the sad thing is. With the same graphics card, and memory it plays games better then my OLD P4 at 1.6Ghz. when i got the P4 i simply but the 64mb graphics card from the AMD duron into the P4 and it ran *censored* gta vc and GTA SA while the old DURON still puffs like new. XP will work fine with it, but since your a little low on RAm, definitely find a retail version of windows 2000 on ebay or from a computer store.. if your lucky some old ones still have a few copies lying around, i was lucky to get XP home that way lol, and install that. Far more stable then windows me and flash is still supported on it as i have it installed on my other PC at work. good luck. 

easeltine1

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
              Go to this website for Windows ME updates. - http://erpman1.tripod.com/w9xmeupd.html
              Install KernelEx 4.52, and read about this on KernelEx Wiki, Sourceforge.
              A computer like the one you have can run Windows 2000 or Windows XP.  The problem is that the experience is just too slow for me.
              With KernelEx 4.52, one can install programs that normally you need Windows 2000 + for, especially, Internet Browsers.
              One can install Flash Player 11 on Windows ME w/ KernelEx and you are able to watch YouTube videos with the specifications of the computer you are talking about.  My Inspiron 8000/800 Mhz, Pentium III, (a bit better than a Duron), w/ 256 MB of RAM is able to connect to the Internet rather well and is very usable!
              Firefox 3-10, Opera 11-12, SeaMonkey 2.0, SlimBrowser 5, (2014 version), Songbird, Flock, and even Nightingale, (2014-though quirky, good YouTube clips), and Flash Player 11, work very well with Windows ME.

I know, (don't think so, I know so), that one will have a better experience keeping Windows ME on this computer rather than trying to upgrade it to either Windows 2000/XP or a Linux version.