Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hinge broke HP 6480 All-in-One Printer  (Read 7384 times)

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hinge broke HP 6480 All-in-One Printer
    « on: August 15, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
    Both hinges broke when closing the cover (the cover that provides access to the cartridges, not the cover that covers the glass.)  Now I get a error 'cover not closed' so printer don't work unless I press down on the left back corner of the cover which clears the error.

A parts diagram, electrical schematic, a workaround (disconnect switch?) or part numbers be great. Can't find any of this or even any pics yet this is a common problem. What company would sell replacement part(s)?

Thanks

J

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hinge broke HP 6480 All-in-One Printer
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
    Try a magnet...on or close to the left corner.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
    good evening jtasus09 and welcome to CH

OK i have 2 full DVD's of printers and I do not have that model. But I can help you some here is the link for HP parts surfer but there are many versions of your printer so look on the label for the model # i.e CM748A etc. http://partsurfer.hp.com/WSearch.aspx?Wchar=Y&searchText=6480%20All-in-One%20Printer just pick your model and look for the hinges. But just to let you know on those printers 9x out of 10 you can not purchase just the hinges you would have to buy the ADF assm.

Hope this helps if you need anything else please let us know. Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:27:46 AM »
      UPDATE  the model of the HP 6480 is CB053A. However can not find any diagrams or parts anywhere.  A parts diagram would be great.

(Patio - what would the magnet do, hold down the cover or interfere with the switch or was this a joke?)

Thanks all-

J

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
      Good evening jtasus09 and welcome back to CH

I don't think patio making a joke
      UPDATE  the model of the HP 6480 is CB053A. However can not find any diagrams or parts anywhere.  A parts diagram would be great.
      (Patio - what would the magnet do, hold down the cover or interfere with the switch or was this a joke?)
      Thanks all-

J

What I think patio was talking about was using a magnet to hold the switch / micro switch in the closed position. If that does not work some ADF assm do not used magnets instead they may use a nub on the ADF assm that goes into the top of the printer that pushes a micro switch (closed position) so the printer can run. If that is the case you may be able to put /wedge something in the hole in the printer and tape that piece still.

The only pic that I can find is this one and it looks like the nub I am talking about is in the back left of the printer.

Sorry I have found no service manuals and no images that show a brake down / part diagram. This issue you are talking about (broken hinges) is wide spread issue on this type of printer and you are not alone. As far a finding and disconnecting the micro switch well it may work using the printer with out this switch but in most cases when i have done this the printer will not boot or it does boot but thinks the lid is not closed (because it is unplugged) the best bet is to find where the switch is and try tapping in something to close it etc.

I wish I was able to find out more for you, Maybe someone else may be able to get the manual. Mike     

If I do come up with a web site that has the manual etc I will let you know. 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »
        Thanks - I'm dying for some info. The wedge thing may be the answer, I looked in the slot and did see a little wire or such so must be a switch. I'll experiment and wedge something into the slot with cover not closed see if error clears. If that works be great.

Regards,

JT

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
          Solution to broken hinges on hp 6480 all in one printer
          If you remove the top half of both hinges the cover will settle into its natural position and the open cover alert will go away. You are good to go just need to hold the cover carefully when changing the cartridges.

There are 10 torx screws, this alteration should take less than 10 minutes. Start with removing the little tab on the outside back of the printer at both hinges. This will expose two more screws on each hinge so remove them (only four to go.) Now open the cover and remove two screws from each hinge while holding the cover carefully so you don't yank on the ribbon cable. Try not to drop these screws inside the machine.

If you have only one broken hinge still remove the top half of the hinge, just break it will be 10x easier than disassembling it.

Regards,

JT