Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AV: Paid vs Free  (Read 3202 times)

Painted Pony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    AV: Paid vs Free
    « on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
    I'm currently running free versions of:
    Avira/MBAM/SAS/SpywareBlaster

I haven't had any major problems to date but would like to know if it would give me greater peace of mind to upgrade to (any) paid versions.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: AV: Paid vs Free
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
    It's strictly personal choice. I've always been of the belief that you get what you pay for. I use Kaspersky. Having said that, there are millions of folks out there who use free versions of AV's and are happy.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
    I ... would like to know if it would give me greater peace of mind to upgrade to (any) paid versions.

How can anybody else know what would give you greater peace of mind? Depending on who you ask, paying for antivirus software is either a good investment or a total ripoff. In reality, neither viewpoint is accurate. You can find plenty of good reasons to choose a paid antivirus product, and plenty of good reasons to go with a freebie. Four basic levels of antivirus products exist: free, paid antivirus, suites, and "premium" suites. As you move up the ladder from free antivirus to premium suites, you typically get more features, such as identity theft protection, firewalls, parental controls, and system performance tools.  Free antivirus software usually provides a bare minimum level of protection. It will scan for malware, and often can perform automatic scans, too. Paid antivirus straddles a middle ground between the basic freebies and the feature-packed security suites: They typically offer more comprehensive security tools (such as parental controls and identity theft protection) and more flexibility than a free antivirus package, but they have fewer additional features than suites, which are intended to be one-stop security shops.

One thing that the "you get what you pay for" people may sometimes overlook is that many free antivirus products are good products which are "paid for" by advertisers and pushers of adware/foistware/toolbars that you have to be alert to opt out of at install time,  and many paid for (by you) suites have lots of bloat and stuff that not everybody wants or needs. Every supplier of antivirus products that come in free and paid for versions says they treat both types of customer the same when it comes to virus definition updates.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
    Welcome Painted Pony to CH

Both ST & Allan are correct and have valid points. In my opinion I have always been happy with 3 different ones depending on the person needs. Avast (free version) & Vipre Internet Security 2012 (paid version) & Malwarebytes (non active scanner & Free). Avast mainly for customer support because even the free version of Avast has one nice feature "Remote desktop" so on PC that have Avast and if they ask for help I can remote into there PC and help them. For over all protection I have always liked Vipre. Vipre full suite is one of the cheapest per lic & per year than any other AV suite and it protection is 2nd to none.

For Kaspersky I know of people that have it and love it. Most of the people that I know of do not like McAfee & Norton but just like in the other post it can be a preference my self I do not like either one. If money is a cost just remember that a free AV is better than not running anything at all. This depend on what you do on-line and how safe you are.

Well I hope this helps you maybe some other folks may give there opinion later. Mike       
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?