Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista Theme changing to XP?!?!?  (Read 4970 times)

Sorrowfullz

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Vista Theme changing to XP?!?!?
    « on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
    Today my computer was fine and running
    until my TF2 Crashed then my Windows Vista theme changed.
    Yes I have tried to do advance system performance
    and put it back in themes :L
    When I look in theme's there is no vistatheme just Classic windows and windows
    Computer INfo
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    Service Pack 1
    32 bit
    replay for more
    BTW I don't want to upgrade :L

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows Vista Theme changing to XP?!?!?
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
    Good evening Sorrowfullz and welcome to CH

If you can't change it back just try using a restore point

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then

clicking System Restore.‍ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide

confirmation. Just pick one from a few days ago.

Please let us know how you make out, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Sorrowfullz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
      I tried it keep's making error ;L
      thanks for the help though ;c

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
      good morning Sorrowfullz

What error are you getting?

Is the screen resolution the same as you had it before?

Do the desktop Icons look big?

Did you install TF2 Theme

Now these steps should work for you

Right-click on the desktop, choose "Personalization" then "Window Color and Appearance" then click the link "Open classic appearance properties for more color option". Make sure "Windows Aero" is selected and click "OK", If you don't get back the view, try closing some programs. Some programs doesn't support Vistas Aero and will disable it.

Try restarting the computer. if that doesn't work right-click on "Computer" on the start menu and choose "Properties" click on the "Windows Experience Index". If your graphics have a score under 2.0 it can't handle Aero. Try updating the score by clicking the link "Update my score"

It should be there as a link on the bottom of "Window Color and Appearance". Otherwise, open go to the start menu and open "Windows Help and Support", search for "Why are some visual elements being automatically turned off?" and choose the first result. Click on "To change the color scheme to Windows Aero" and then "Click to open Appearance Settings.".

If the steps do not help you it is very possible your video drivers may be corrupt. If it didn't work let us know what model PC you have and we can point you to the correct drivers. You did supply what OS  you have but we would need your PC model (i.e Dell C521 etc) and also if you have a aftermarket video card please give that model as well.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Sorrowfullz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:16:35 AM »
        good morning Mike c;

What error are you getting? Restore not succusful error occured I don't remeber the numbers sorry :c

Is the screen resolution the same as you had it before? yes

Do the desktop Icons look big? No difference

Did you install TF2 Theme there is no Tf2 theme

Now these steps should work for you

Right-click on the desktop, choose "Personalization" then "Window Color and Appearance" then click the link "Open classic appearance properties for more color option". Make sure "Windows Aero" is selected and click "OK", If you don't get back the view, try closing some programs. Some programs doesn't support Vistas Aero and will disable it. There is no Windows Aero if there is where?

Try restarting the computer. if that doesn't work right-click on "Computer" on the start menu and choose "Properties" click on the "Windows Experience Index". If your graphics have a score under 2.0 it can't handle Aero. Try updating the score by clicking the link "Update my score"

My score is 3.1

It should be there as a link on the bottom of "Window Color and Appearance". Otherwise, open go to the start menu and open "Windows Help and Support", search for "Why are some visual elements being automatically turned off?" and choose the first result. Click on "To change the color scheme to Windows Aero" and then "Click to open Appearance Settings.".

I searched the exact thing and could not find anything with the nameof To Change The color scheme to windows Aero

If the steps do not help you it is very possible your video drivers may be corrupt. If it didn't work let us know what model PC you have and we can point you to the correct drivers. You did supply what OS  you have but we would need your PC model (i.e Dell C521 etc) and also if you have a aftermarket video card please give that model as well.

Computer INFO
        at least what I could find currently

Manufacturer: Dell
        Model: Inspiron 530
        Rating was 3.3 sorry
        Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
        Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
        System Type: 32-bit Operating System
        Windows Vista Home Basic
        Service Pack1

Hope to hear from you soon, sorrowfullz

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
        Good afternoon Sorrowfullz and welcome back to CH

I just went to Dell's web site and there is many different configurations for your PC so just go to this link and put in your PC's service tag and search for the drivers http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Now before you install the drivers I would run a check disk first

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click on the Computer button.

3. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties.

4. Click on the Tools tab.

5. Click on Check Now under the Error checking section.

6. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

7. Make sure both options are checked.
        NOTE: The Automatically fix file system errors box will be checked by default.

8. Click on the Start button.

9. You will get a pop-up window saying, "Windows can't check this disk while it's use".

10. Click on the Schedule disk check button for chkdsk to run the next time you restart your computer. Then restart the PC.

*****This will take about 20 minutes or so to finish, depending on how big your hard drive is. Do not stop chkdsk once it has started, let it finish. It could cause errors on your hard drive. When you restart to chkdsk, you will only have 10 seconds to press a key to cancel chkdsk.****

If you are not able to run check disk don't install the drivers yet. If you cant run it there is another method to run chldsk

If you are not able to run chkdsk please don't do the drivers yet just come back and tell us about it and if there was any errors etc.

When you put in your service tag look for Chipset drivers and Video card drivers. The Chipset drivers will only be one kind just pick the newest one by date. The video drivers & just in-case you don't know which one to get just go into the (Device manager on the your PC) and look for display or display adapter open that and it will tell you what video card you have and just download the newest driver.

Now once you have them just install the Chipset drivers first and if asked reboot then install the video card drivers. Now your PC only has SP1 for your OS I would suggest updating your Vista operating system through windows update. Reason being you are leaving your self wide open for virus plus some of the windows updates are bug fixes / reliability / enhancements.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike