Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook having to send/receive to get emails?  (Read 8459 times)

The Rock

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Outlook having to send/receive to get emails?
    « on: August 26, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
    I have a user with Outlook 2003 and on an Exchange 2010 server. Emails do not come into the inbox until a send/receive is done. Mailbox otherwise is ok.

Checked send/receive settings and all seem ok..deleted the local profile and reconfigured the Outlook profile but it makes no difference.

Does anyone know of a fix? Could it be a corrupted PST file? The PC otherwise runs fine.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Outlook having to send/receive to get emails?
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
    Good morning The Rock and welcome back to CH

#1... Make sure the EU main account is set as default email account
    #2... Change the receive time to 1 or 2 min
    #3... Use outlook detect and repair (this can fix some issues in outlook)
    #4... try sending an email from another PC to the trouble user's PC and then reply back does it work?
    #5... Disable outlook add-ons some add-ons can be a royal pain ;D

Do you get any errors on send and receive when you push the button?

Hope this helps please let us know how you make out. Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
    Be sure the lower right corner shows connected and NOT offline mode, as shown in the pic I attached. Offline mode will require you to send/receive to get latest e-mail as well as have any composed e-mails passed on to recipients. This one bit me once before and when the boss was like why havent you responded to me about something I was like ... what, I didnt get your e-mail otherwise I would have responded. Then found out that Offline was enabled somehow... OOPS... Re-Connect and deal with the pile of eMail that built up without me knowing.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
    Good morning The Rock and welcome back to CH

#1... Make sure the EU main account is set as default email account
    #2... Change the receive time to 1 or 2 min
    #3... Use outlook detect and repair (this can fix some issues in outlook)
    #4... try sending an email from another PC to the trouble user's PC and then reply back does it work?
    #5... Disable outlook add-ons some add-ons can be a royal pain ;D

Do you get any errors on send and receive when you push the button?

Hope this helps please let us know how you make out. Mike 

None of this has anything to do with an Exchange account.

And to answer your question, Exchange uses an .ost file, not the .pst file used by pop accounts. Have you spoken with the Exchange Administrator?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »
    Hi Allan

You brought up a good point with it being in off line, nice catch

The OP was talking about the local PC and not the exchange server

But with the questions I put up that is not true about outlook not using pst and only uses ost. I have migrated accounts that have had pst into exchange and same thing with imap servers.

On checking if there is more than one account in outlook and if the wrong one is set as default they will not get any email if it is not set as default. They would have to hit the send and receive for all email accounts. I didn't know if he more than one email account / profile in outlook.

Using outlooks detect and repair won't work just because he getting email from an exchange server, not true it can and has fixed issues in outlook many times.

Sending an email and receiving an email to the affected account for testing wont work how? it is for testing.

Disabling add-ons in outlook wont affect outlook in functioning correct? Yes they do and it doesn't matter if the account is an exchange or pop. The add-ons are local in most cases and not global.

One of the business that I was at today get there email through an exchange server and they are PST and not OST's 

Even the OP posted he was wondering if the PST were the issue, so that is why I put some of the information in the post. Mike     
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:25:57 PM by hartbeatmr »
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
    Hi Allan

You brought up a good point with it being in off line, nice catch

The OP was talking about the local PC and not the exchange server

But with the questions I put up that is not true about outlook not using pst and only uses ost. I have migrated accounts that have had pst into exchange and same thing with imap servers.

On checking if there is more than one account in outlook and if the wrong one is set as default they will not get any email if it is not set as default. They would have to hit the send and receive for all email accounts. I didn't know if he more than one email account / profile in outlook.

Using outlooks detect and repair won't work just because he getting email from an exchange server, not true it can and has fixed issues in outlook many times.

Sending an email and receiving an email to the affected account for testing wont work how? it is for testing.

Disabling add-ons in outlook wont affect outlook in functioning correct? Yes they do and it doesn't matter if the account is an exchange or pop. The add-ons are local in most cases and not global.

One of the business that I was at today get there email through an exchange server and they are PST and not OST's 

Even the OP posted he was wondering if the PST were the issue, so that is why I put some of the information in the post. Mike     
    You don't know what you're talking about. Exchange uses push, not pull and the .pst file - OR the number of accounts - OR which one is the default account has nothing to do with anything. Please stop posting if you don't know what you're talking about - it's only confusing the issue, the thread, and the poster with the question. Thank you.

The Rock

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
      Thanks for the replies guys..

Mailbox is definitely NOT offline and connected is in the bottom right hand corner.

Detect and repair did not make any difference and there are no add-ons or disabled items.

Allan..no i haven't spoken to the Exchange admin but this is the only user affected by the issue so i was assuming it's some sort of issue on the local PC/User. I don't know of this affecting anyone else in the company!!

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
      No harm in checking with the admin. He may have to enable a permission for you.