Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer has suddenly become slow to bring up pages, sometime does nothing  (Read 21163 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

The computer is only a few years old and was the fast reliable one in the house. Sometime after a scan by PC tools, which I did regularily, it became slow to respond in bringing up pages. The little blue circle would just spin on the screen. If you were on a page and hit a link, it again would be slow or not even respond to that click of the link. AVG shows no viruses, Malware Bytes Anti -Malware shows nothing, I've defragged and run CC Cleaner and it doesn't seem any better. I also did a system restore to before that last scan. It's an HP with AMD Athlon running windows 7 with 4.0 GB of RAM. Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    1) If you are talking about the "registry cleaner" in PC Tools you are doing more harm than good.

2) CCleaner is an essentially benign utility that has absolutely no effect on computer performance.

3) Contrary to the title of the thread it sounds as though your only issue is with the web browser and not the computer in general, is that correct? If so, have you tried a different browser just as a test? If not, please do so.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    It may also be a general connection issue as well...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    It may also be a general connection issue as well...
    Agreed. If we try a different browser it will help narrow down the cause.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I went with Google Chrome and I am still having the same issues. Sometimes it works, othertimes the small blue circle spins, other times half a page loads or nothing at all.  The registry cleaner I ran was from PC performer. PC Tools, I run Spyware doctor. Let me know what else you may need to know or what I should do next.

Allan

• Mastermind
      As I said, registry cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not cure anything. It's very possible whatever your registry cleaner did exacerbated your problem.

Do you have other computers in the house? If so, do they have the same problem? If you don't, and if the only issue you are having is with the web pages loading in your browser and it happens with more than one browser I suggest you contact your ISP before we go any further.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

There is a laptop in the house that doesn't have this problem. The other desktop is down, my wife's Dell. (See my other posts about flashing and nonflashing amber light on Dell not booting up). Anyways, so now that we have it somewhat narrowed down and I now know registry cleaners are bad, what can I do to try to bring it back to how it was before?

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          How is your computer connected to the internet?

Try starting in safe mode + networking and see if it improves.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          Download Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
          . In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
          . Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
          . On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

You might need to uninstall your AVG by a removal tool and test the browsing experience again but you might have a connection problem as Patio stated and with how you connect either by wired or wireless as Fed suggested.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Elo1nvGJr4buxtQfrjf4HMF

Hope that worked. With the computer in safe mode, I was still having issues. The computer is wired and through an AT+T router. Sometimes it won't bring up a site or acknowlege a link. But also some sites will not have issues.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            Download SecurityCheck.exe Here
            Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
            . When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
               Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.
            You might also have PC Tools Internet Security with Browser Defender addon installed along with AVG.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.49 
               Windows 7  x64 (UAC is enabled) 
               Out of date service pack!![/b]
               Internet Explorer 9 
              ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````[/u]
               Windows Firewall Enabled! 
              AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012   
               Antivirus up to date!   
              `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````[/u]
               PC Tools Spyware Doctor 9.0
               Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.62.0.1300 
               Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
               Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 Adobe Reader out of Date! 
               Google Chrome 21.0.1180.83 
              ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````[/u] 
               AVG avgwdsvc.exe
               AVG avgtray.exe
               Symantec Norton Online Backup NOBuAgent.exe 
              `````````````````System Health check`````````````````[/u]
               Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 2%
              ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````[/u]

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Computer has suddenly become slow to bring up pages, sometime does nothing
                « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
                I assume since I haven't heard anything, that everything looks all right? I actually did find out that through speedtest and att.com speedtest that my download speed was between 1.26 and 5.13. The laptops were at 11.30. Every once in a while the wired desktop would read 11. ATT wanted $15/month for a year to look at my settings and adjust them to help. They won't help troubleshoot for free because I DO have an internet connection. Bastards.  I didn't change anything to make this happen because the periodic scans. Anything I can do about this?

Fed

• Sage
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
                  Is the laptop wireless or wired to the router wolfman?

I'm chasing a similar problem but I connect to the net via a 3G modem which adds to the puzzle... it's like herding cats.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
                    The laptops are wireless and the desktop is wired through the AT&T modem. Still can't believe they wanted me to sign up, before they'd help with my settings