Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware Requirements  (Read 3246 times)

Jyscalus

Topic Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Hardware Requirements
    « on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
    Hi all, great to be here!

Ok, I'm going to be as honest and forthcoming as i can about this.

I currently have:

Pentium Dual core E5700 CPU
    Ge-force GT 630 128bt
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    550W Psu

What i would like to know is can i play games that for eg have a min req of Core 2 Duo or above damage my hardware to any extent? Or is it simply not recommended? I know this may seem like an extreme newbie question or the like but honestly i am stressing quite badly about this and honestly have nobody at home or in my area i can ask and get an honest answer. I have been to a PC shop and they have recommended i upgrade to at least an i3 if i would like to play these games with no problems.

Without being funny my finances will not permit this at this stage hence why i am still running a dual core, and as well i am not sure if they have my best interests at hand or are simply trying to make a sale.  I have bought 2 cheapish games which on the box it says the min requirements are a core 2 duo. Everything else is fine as far as i can tell, Gpu, Ram etc.  The games seem to run fine as far as i can tell with a decent framerate, and the only thing I've noticed is that my CPU fan seems to climb to higher Rpm while playing these games but as i don't know that much about about PC hardware I'm not sure if this is natural or if the CPU is now under excess stress which is causing the fan( a Venom Pico)  to run faster. The temperatures i "think" are still fine, CPU 40 - 45 degrees Celsius, gpu 50 degrees while playing. Is this normal or should i be concerned?

Am i causing any damage to the hardware by playing these games, or are these temps normal for these types of games? Should i rather go back to playing games that meet my systems specs?  I would really appreciate help with this in any way you could give as, as i said i am not able to upgrade at this stage but am saving slowly and will hopefully be able to soon.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any assistance you can offer! :)

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hardware Requirements
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:20:12 AM »
    Good morning Jyscalus and welcome to CH

Temp wise you should be OK. Just in-case you don't know depending on what socket your CPU is (model # of the MoBo) you can upgrade just the CPU.

When you go to install the games they will do 1 of 2 things either install and play or it will not work. Just make sure your PC's fans and heatsinks ect are all clean and noise free to keep the temps as cool as possible.

If the CPU fan is a retail box CPU fan / heatsink combo it should keep it fairly cool. If you want spend like 30 -40 bucks for a good copper heatsink with a good fan just to be sure. It is cheap insurance to give you piece of mind ;D ;D

Hope this helps to answer your questions, Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Paci

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
      So i have nearly the same setup (but not an geforce but ATI Radeon 57770 graphic card) and i can play for example guild wars 2 on low very well, but when i switch to better settings, i got 12-18 fps. So the big question is, what kind of motherboard do you have and is it worth to upgrade anything or invest in a whole new pc (and wait of course).

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »
      Good morning Paci and welcome to CH

In the future if you have a suggestion / idea please contribute (just not in the AV / Malware section). But if you need to ask a question please do so by starting your own thread.

This way it is much easier to keep track of and will not be confusing to anyone on the forum.

Thank you and once again welcome to CH

Mike 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:35 AM »
      Good morning Paci and welcome to CH

In the future if you have a suggestion / idea please contribute (just not in the AV / Malware section). But if you need to ask a question please do so by starting your own thread.

This way it is much easier to keep track of and will not be confusing to anyone on the forum.

Thank you and once again welcome to CH

Mike 
      paci is not asking a question, he's replying to one. Please leave forum moderation to the moderators.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
      Will do sorry, Mike