Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to Uninstall (downloaded)Automatic Updates  (Read 5549 times)

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    How to Uninstall (downloaded)Automatic Updates
    « on: September 03, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
    I need guidance regarding how to uninstall downloaded automatic updates
    but not installed on system.

In windows automatic updates i have selected following option-
    "download updates but ask before installation"

now few days back some updates were downloaded, so i decided to do custom installation from which i selected few update i wished to install.
    Now what happens is that whenever i start my pc , automatic update prompts me install those updates which is downloaded on my machine but not installed.
    Since i don't want these downloaded updates to install.

Is there a way i can delete this downloaded not installed unwanted updates from my system.

Thanks in advance.

Fleexy

Intermediate

• OW NEXT TIME I SHOULD TURN IT OFF BEFORE SERVICING
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to Uninstall (downloaded)Automatic Updates
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
    When Windows Update asks you to install updates, choose the "Custom" installation (or whatever button isn't the express installer).  In the following list, uncheck the updates that you do not want and press Install (or Continue/Close if there are no checked updates).  A small message box will appear with a single check indicating whether the unchecked updates will be permanently ignored.  Check the box and continue.

Fleexy
    I love .NET!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
    right-click on the update you don't want and choose "hide". You won't see it again.

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
      thanks for the info.

(using xp sp3)
      but is there any way these updates which are downloaded but not installed can be deleted, since my automatic
      updates are set to on so whenever some new updates come up and those am not willing  to install would pile up needless on pc, is there a way to overcome this??

thanks
      « Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:55:31 PM by HardwareTwitch »

TechnoGeek

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
      You can change the update settings to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them' in the windows update settings.
      Keep in mind that there's a good reason most of these updates are provided, and most of them are security-related.

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:27 AM »
        You can change the update settings to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them' in the windows update settings.
        Keep in mind that there's a good reason most of these updates are provided, and most of them are security-related.

hmm k i got that but is there a way to delete them if they r downloaded accidentally...deleting downloaded update file where window stores it, prior to install?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:05 AM »
        Good morning HardwareTwitch and welcome back to CH

Yes there is http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000225.htm

But please remember just as the forum members have told you almost all windows updates help to protect you even if you do not think that you need them they fix holes / vulnerabilities etc.

My recommendation keep your PC up to date with MS updates / AV updates / Malware software updates etc. Mike   
        Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

HardwareTwitch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »

Yes there is http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000225.htm

But please remember just as the forum members have told you almost all windows updates help to protect you even if you do not think that you need them they fix holes / vulnerabilities etc.

My recommendation keep your PC up to date with MS updates / AV updates / Malware software updates etc. Mike

i tried searching out for tmp file, but i cudn't find the desired one.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 03:57:25 AM »

Sorry if you were having problems with the info at the link maybe this will be easier.  ;D

Remove Files Stored on Your Hard Disk
          To remove files stored on your hard disk that you no longer use, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.
              Right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, and then click Properties.
              Click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.
              Click the Disk Cleanup tab (if it is not already selected), click to select the check boxes next to the files that you want to remove, and then click OK.
              Click Yes to the proceed with this action, and then click OK.

If there are items / programs in windows that you want to remove please just do the following.

Remove Windows Components
          To remove Windows components that you are not using, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.
              Right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, and then click Properties.
              Click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.
              Click the More Options tab, and then under Windows components, click Clean up.

The Windows Components Wizard starts.
              In the Components list, click to clear the check box next to the component(s) that you want to remove.
                  A shaded check box next to a component indicates that only some of its subcomponents are installed.

If you want to remove a subcomponent, click Details, click to clear the check box next to the subcomponent(s) that you want to remove, and then click OK.
              Click Next.
              In the Completing the Windows Components Wizard page, click Finish.
              Click OK, click Yes to proceed with this action, and then click OK.

Hopefully this will help you better. All the information is also available here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312 

Please let us know how you make out, Mike
          Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?