Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2003 Word program and printing  (Read 3917 times)

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
    • Experience: Beginner
    2003 Word program and printing
    « on: September 05, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
    I'm back!  Seriously, I want to thank all you people that help me.  My current problem seems to be two fold.  FIRST, my Word docuement is different suddenly from what it was before.  There is no adjustment available to change the vertical margin along the left hand side.  The "tab" I usually use seems to be all the way to the top and I can't click and drag it down. (attch A).
    SECONDLY, my 2003 Word program prints all documents (even labels) to the right and down where the text runs off the page.  It also prints that way.  This happens on new and stored documents. (attch: gasoline prices memo)  I haven't changed anything on my Windows 7 laptop, that I know of. Thanks for listening and I hope someone can help.   Micromos :-[

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2003 Word program and printing
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »
    Good evening micromos and welcome back to CH

I am sorry I do not see what issues you may be having.

I also use windows 7 and MS office 2003 pro, the lay outs, page adjustments etc where fine for me that you gave us. The second word doc was blank.

I do not know what this is "The "tab" I usually use seems to be all the way to the top" in word you can change the page editing options, buttons etc. Then in the page layout you can set the margins etc.

If all prints are coming out incorrect you may have bad / corrupt driver for your printer.

If I am missing what you are trying to describe please let me know. Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
      hartbeatmr, Thanks for responding.  My word program was set up so that in the upper left hand corner there was a blue area (in the scale column that could be scrolled up or down to adjust the vertical margin.  There is no adjustment on the current word program now. I tried but can't send you a screen print of it here.  I could through an email if you want.   In addition, the pages I print are shoved to the right side where they print off the page.  This happens on my labels printing also. Donn

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
      Good evening micromos and welcome back

I think I know what you are talking about "My word program was set up so that in the upper left hand corner there was a blue area"

When word is open click on view up top and choose print layout that will give you the rulers back with the blue bar back.

As far as the pages / layout being on the right side look up top for the B I U next to that may be align left and middle and right just click on the left margin button.

Then look up top for file then page set up then look at the margins and layout tabs have the settings that you want.

Hopefully this helps you, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »
        I'll be a son of an idiot! I know I tried that margin adjustment before but it now prints as it should.  Thanks a bunch.  The blue bar still isn't there but I guess I can manually tab down to where I want to start the letter. I clicked on the "line spacing" section also which opened a menu that looks promising but I don't know how to minipulate it to bring back the blue bar or if it will.  Want to check that out for me?  :-[

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »
        Good evening micromos and welcome back to CH

Yes you can fix and get back the blue bar "When word is open click on view up top and choose print layout that will give you the rulers back with the blue bar back."

So open MS word and look up top for View and click on it then Choose "Print layout" the blue bar will be back

Mike

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
          Mike, That didn't work BUT I clicked on "Header and Footer" and that gave me back the blue bar.  However, once I close and leave the document and open one again the blue bar is missing. Aargh!

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
          Good evening micromos and welcome back

You may want to see if you have Office SP3 there were some fixes in that SP.

Also you may want to do a detect and repair from the help up top.

If neither of these work I would un-install office and re-install it that would be the best fix if word is not keeping your settings.

Hope this helps, Mike 

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
            Attached is a copy of the word document as I like it. (with the blue bar) I just opened Word and clicked on "View", "header and footer" - then "header and footer" a second time and it came up like I want it.  However, when I close the document it doesn't save the style.  Is there a way to save the style once I have it?  Sorry to drag this out.

Donn

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
            Good evening micromos and welcome back  ;D

Let's try changing some of the settings for some reason they seem like they are getting changed.

1..Open a new document and select Format > Font.
            2..Select a new font and size in the Font dialog box, and then click Default. Word will ask you if you want these changes to apply to all new documents using the "Normal template" (normal.dot).
            3..Click Yes to make the changes permanent. The change will apply to Word's Normal/default style and to all styles based on Normal.
            4..To change Word's default page margins, select File > Page Setup. The first tab should be Margins, make your changes to the margins here, and then click Default.
            5..Click Yes when Word asks you to confirm the changes. This warning will look exactly like the one shown above.

Note:You can also change other settings affecting page layout (including paper orientation and line numbering) in the same dialog box.

Hope this helps. Doing the above changes should put all future word doc's back to factory settings and from there you can make what minor changes you want.

Mike

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »
              Mike, I did that and it changed the margin and font but the blue bar remains missing.  Is the factory default without the blue bar.  I don't thik it is because I always had it before. Donn

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
              No you are right the default is to have the blue adjustment bar there.

But when you made the changes did it fix the rest of the issue but the blue bar? and did the settings stay as they should.

If the rest of the settings stayed as they should? just not the blue bar. Mike

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
                That's right . Everything is correct now except the blue bar.  I even clicked default again after I clicked header and footer twice but it didn't put the blue bar back. Donn  :'(

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »
                  I just want to thank all for their help.  The program is functioning at a 75% level so I am going to take it to the Geek Squad at Best buy and see if they are as good as described.  Regards, Micromos