Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem in entering BIOS  (Read 8008 times)

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Problem in entering BIOS
    « on: September 28, 2012, 04:06:22 AM »
    Hey, could anyone please help that I wanna ghost my computer, but unfortunately , when i first bought this laptop, it has a password that prevent me entering the BIOS, i was unable to contact the seller because i bought it for a while, also, i cannot open my laptop to take the batter out because some of those screws were damage.

So what can i do to enter the BIOS, thank you

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Problem in entering BIOS
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
    Hi,

Remove the BIOS password by simply removing the CMOS battery. Check this helpful link: How can I reset CMOS or BIOS settings?

If you cannot remove the screws, the best way is to bring your laptop to any computer repair shop. They might help you on that.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
    Hi,

Remove the BIOS password by simply removing the CMOS battery. Check this helpful link: How can I reset CMOS or BIOS settings?

If you cannot remove the screws, the best way is to bring your laptop to any computer repair shop. They might help you on that.

In a laptop? Good luck. Not only with removing the battery, but with the security feature on most laptops that persists the password even if the battery is replaced.

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
      uhm... first, is there any program that I could remove the password from BIOS,
      How about this, if I abandon all the files and program in my current window, is there a way that i could ghost or format my window?

Thank you

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
      Why do you need to enter the BIOS to image the HDD ? ?

With laptops the only way to unlock the BIOS password is to take it to an authorised service center...

Be prepared to show proof of ownership as they are gonna ask for it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
        Why do you need to enter the BIOS to image the HDD ? ?

With laptops the only way to unlock the BIOS password is to take it to an authorised service center...

oh, I see

Well, I think I need to give up and stick to my old trick, which is unplug the HDD and use a USB boot the system then restore it.

Thank you very much guys

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
          • Yes
          • The Doctor
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
        I'm completely lost!

Why do you need to mess about with the bios to do a Ghost backup of the hard drive?  Or, what did I miss in the original post?

I Ghost backup hard drives all the time for my customers, and it never requires me going into the Bios.
        It's the one and only Backup program I've used since 1997, before it ever became associated with Norton or Symantec.

8)
        Experience is truly the best teacher.
        Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
          I'm completely lost!

Why do you need to mess about with the bios to do a Ghost backup of the hard drive?  Or, what did I miss in the original post?

I Ghost backup hard drives all the time for my customers, and it never requires me going into the Bios.
          It's the one and only Backup program I've used since 1997, before it ever became associated with Norton or Symantec.

8)

What? I am also using Symantec, is this software work in normal windown mode? I explain my step to ghost a window, please advise me if there is a redundant step,

First, I enter in BIOS because I need to boot my USB drive instead of my hard drive

Once I am in my PE window in USB, I use the Symantec to ghost my system, and that is

So without entering in BIOS, I can't boot my usb hence cannot ghost my window

or do you guys normally create a recovery partition in your hard drive?

Thank you

TechnoGeek

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
          You should be able to select a boot device without actually entering the BIOS Setup -- look for another key on POST that is not for the BIOS Setup program, this should be to select a drive to boot do.

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
            but i am using a laptop, it has only 2 keys for selection before entering to window, one is F2 which going to the BIOS, anther is F12, go to those network stuff, do you mean the F12, thanks

TechnoGeek

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »
            If you choose F12, do you get a choice between (for example) USB, Floppy, CD, Hard Drive, and Network? That's the boot selection menu.

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
              no, only network, the one you say is F2

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
              Then the solution in future would be to set USB as 1st boot priority and press F10 to save changes and exit...

All you have to do day to day is remember to not leave a bootable flash drive plugged in...simple.

johnha169

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
                I am unable to enter in BIOS, how could I save changes to usb as 1st bott priority, do you mean in PE? if yes, please show the steps

the reason I can ghost my system is that I unplug my HDD and plug my usb in, so the mobo has no choice but boot my usb

cheers

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »
                Then the solution in future would be to set USB as 1st boot priority and press F10 to save changes and exit...

Note the "in future" reference...

That being said instructions for the password issue were given above...