Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Started Windows using Last Good Settings Now...  (Read 2612 times)

trusky

Topic Starter

Rookie

Started Windows using Last Good Settings Now...
    « on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
    I could not open Windows (Vista) normally so I used the "Last Known Settings" option. I have it open, but I see errors in my event log such as:
    The DHCP allocator has detected a DHCP server with IP address 192.168.0.1 on the same network as the interface with IP address 192.168.0.104. The allocator has disabled itself on the interface to avoid confusing DHCP clients.

Help.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Started Windows using Last Good Settings Now...
      « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
      This was the response to the same issue on another forum. The credit goes to the responder in that forum if it should solve your problem.good luck,truenorth

dquigley        

Senior Member with 112 posts.       Join Date: Apr 2006
      Experience: Advanced

23-Apr-2006, 03:26 PM #3
      There two DHCP servers on your network.

DHCP stands for "Dynamic Host Control Protocol". DHCP servers hand out (manage) IP addresses for network PCs and devices that have DHCP clients. In other words this service gives PCs and other devices the ability to automatically obtain and reserve IP addresses.

The error is saying that the device at 192.168.0.1 (which is probably a router) has a DHCP Server running and the device (probably a PC) at 192.168.0.85 tried to start a DHCP server but shut down because it found one running already.

If you have or had that PC/Server (the one at 192.168.0.85) enabled for connection sharing you should disable that on the PC as most people rely on their routers' DHCP Server to manage IP addresses for their home network.

I have a more complex network and run multiple servers. One of them is configured as a DHCP server. So with that configuration I need to disable the DHCP server on my router.